Popeyes coats fried chicken in cookie-crumbs, serves with jam

Man the future is going to be glorious!

2 Likes

Very cute! I wasn’t aware that you were referring to a photo of the package’s ingredients list, as opposed to a picture of the sauce itself (as it appears on the Popeyes site).

2 Likes

They make a version of this here and it’s amazing!!!

3 Likes

Yeah, I could go for some chicken …

Nah.

Portuguese chicken burger, from anywhere that isn’t a franchise.

1 Like

I thought that the dusting of powdered sugar was more or less part of the Monte Cristo tradition… it’s been on every one I’ve enjoyed. Hmm… regional thing?

4 Likes

I was gonna eat my leftover veggie ‘beff’ and rice for lunch today, but I think I am on the Popeye’s train after this article, too.

3 Likes

Which is partly why mine all lived to be over (or close to) 100 years old. They lived in the country and ate mostly natural foods (grown/raised themselves or by neighbors). Every generation after them died at younger ages, and contracted more diseases. We have lots more conveniences, variety, and processed foods. However, their long lives were hard - filled with more work, less leisure time, and little educational opportunity.

3 Likes

Not disagreeing. Food today is junk, and good quality ingredients are hard to find. Still, I’m not convinced that previous generations were paragons of healthy living. I have my grandma’s cookbooks from the 40s and 50s, and everything is obscene amounts of eggs and mayonnaise. My great-grandfather allegedly used to eat 5000 calories a day, but I’m not sure how true that is. It was more likely 3500 but eaten all at once.

2 Likes

cc @LearnedCoward

This is true for fast food and general food merchandise in general. Its also the case with chicken patties in general as well.

In our house we have taken to making homemade chicken nuggets. small chicken bits of white and dark meat breaded and fried accordingly after brining. This is probably more akin to popcorn chicken than nuggets I am sure, But I can’t really split hairs when it comes to this.

1 Like

This doesn’t strike me as being too terribly different from Fried Chicken and Waffles. Which is delicious.

Fast food is often reasonable recipes with crap ingredients and an overabundance of sugar/salt as a pure stimulus.

I would devour a home-made version of this treat without hesitation.

4 Likes

My grandma used to make mayonnaise once a week for use as a universal condiment; her recipe book was all butter and eggs and more butter. I personally used to watch my grandfather eat hotdogs topped with homemade whipped cream (!!) while he smoked. Her nod to health was to include as many carrots in her cooking as possible.

Oh yeah. I make ‘healthy’ chicken tenders/nuggets once a week or so. Dredge them in seasoned breadcrumbs, bake on a rack until crispy.

3 Likes

Thank heavens for grandfathers and their weird snacks! One of my grandfathers liked peanut butter, cheese and banana sandwiches, sometimes with Marshmallow Fluff. The other enjoyed kicking back in his recliner with a quart size root beer & strawberry ice cream topped with about half a tub of Cool Whip. Of the two I prefer the sandwich.

And by the way that hotdog and whipped cream sounds really good but I’d have to use some non dairy topping to keep things kosher.

2 Likes

Havent had that in like 25 years. I should do something about it. Soon.

My kids find it weird that every now and then I get a can of deviled ham and eat it off ritz crackers. #headingtowardsgrandpastatus

2 Likes

Back when I ate pork, I’d do deviled ham on crackers any time, doesnt sound odd to me at all.

2 Likes

I had a relative who worked for Best Foods/Hellman’s, so we had a never-ending supply of the commercial stuff.

I’ve tried to make mayonnaise myself, but it requires a lot of elbow grease and patience. It’s doable, but not really my thing.

Baked chopped up tenders dredged in egg wash and seasoned breadcrumbs is how we used to do it back home. I have never tried brined chicken nuggets, but I can really see this working. Not terribly interested in frying the nuggets, but if they’re not fried they won’t turn out nearly the same.

well. its merely to ensure the chicken remains ■■■■■ when being cooked. Helps season it since breast meat can be so bland.

I like it because it adds flavor like nothing else I’ve tried thus far. It’s the moistness that worries me. If I put a coat of batter on the outside and deep-fry it, it will have a crispy crunchy breading with a soft tender nugget inside. If I bake it, it will result in a spongy, unpalatable texture.