Popeyes coats fried chicken in cookie-crumbs, serves with jam

Well. thats always the point of a brine to flavor and keep something ■■■■■. For something like a nugget, I never do anything by fry. I’ve tried baked, and it only works in my opinion for things like a coated bone in protein like wings. But thats my taste.

If drugs were legal, someone would indeed serve that.

He’s too busy eating these chicken tenders?

1 Like

Most fast food chains have nuggets, and then they have tenders. The former is slurry, the latter is chicken breast. I think McDonalds discontinued theirs but they were called Chicken Specials. I think Chick-Fil-A names them Tenders and Nuggets. Burger King does the same and I think Chicken Fries are nuggets rather than thinly sliced tenders. At Cook Out, a regional fast food chain and the best fast food chain in the country (this becomes obvious later), the menu is built around trays, you get one entree and two sides; chicken tenders are an entree and chicken nuggets are a side, so a valid meal is chicken tenders with double chicken nuggets. Oddly enough the chicken wrap is also a side, and I think the chicken wrap’s chicken is cut up tenders.

2 Likes

So good.

2 Likes

Its worth it if you want to add in some different kinds of spices or other flavorings.

1 Like

When my dad cooked on his own, he sometimes enjoyed a can of tuna dumped into a microwaved sweet potato.

hork

2 Likes

High fructose corn syrup is around 10% water and the different varieties are categories by the percentage of their sugar that is fructose. As in not counting the water. Ranging from 42%to 90%. From what I recall 42 and 55 are the most common types. Honey is variable. The numbers you see seem to fall into a 10-25% water/crud content range. And the rule of thumb seems to be that half its sugar content (cutting out the water and other stuff as in the HFCS) is derived from Fructose. At least. But honey is variable. So depending on the variety the ratio can break 60:40.

In general. From everything I’ve seen on the subject a serving of Honey is likely to be giving you a bigger dose of fructose than an equivilent serving of HFCS. Especially when you consider that the HFCS, even in products like pancake syrup that are mostly HFCS, is almost always diluted beyond its original 10% water content.

Your point boils down to “if you eat honey you eat less sugar, so honey has less fructose”. Something you can accomplish by eating less sugar.

All of which is based on the assumption that fructose is basically the devil. Which I don’t particularly buy. I simply find it interesting that the same groups of people who are terrified of HFCS because of its fructose content flock to Honey and Agave as more “healthy” and “natural” choices. Both of which often contain far more fructose than HFCS.

ATA:

Also while Huffpo’s in house staff occasionally do good journalistic work. Its generally not a good idea to pull info from or cite most of the stuff published there. A hell of a lot of the content there is produced by just about anyone who can get posting rights. Which is not hard to do. I was (maybe still am) a Huffpo “contributor” for a job a had I bit back. A temp job. It basically works like this: Your PR people send an email to some one over there, often an editor of some sort. Sometimes another PR person. AND BOOM. You are a Huffpo contributor. Able to post whatever you will with little oversight!

Which is all to say. A Huffpo article by " Youbeauty.com editors" interviewing a nutritionist (who are often not credible and not real doctors) is probably not a great source of information.

1 Like

It seems to me that if this was an independent restaurant, rather than a chain, people would have less issues with it? It would probably also be hand made, farm to table, free range chicken, locally raised, etc. This reminds me of when that one little donut shop in Brooklyn or wherever was making cronuts (or whatever it was) with line around the block, no one really was annoyed, but then dunkin donuts tried it and it was a big eye rolling thing.

I dunno… I just think it’s kind of funny how people react, depending on who is doing something, a big corporation vs. a small business.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, I saw tuna on a baked potato everywhere in the UK. A sweet potato, not so much, urgh.

1 Like

Regular potato with tuna I’d be down with.

Sweet potato, yeah, just no.

2 Likes

I don’t buy that - I do think the difference in how your liver processes it vs. normal sugar plays a role in metabolic syndrome.

I also think the fear of fat and resulting crazy solution to replace fats in food (that make food taste good) with sugar in the early 80’s is a huge factor. Sugar wasn’t the devil of our food until we started loading our food with it in huge quantities used to mask otherwise bland or crappy products.

3 Likes

lets make foodpocricy a word

1 Like

Well, don’t get me wrong… I love me some hipster grub as much as the next dude (especially for breakfast!). But I do think that if this were some hipster place, some people would think it’s genius rather than gross. Or some people at least…

Foodpocracy? Hm.

3 Likes

This exactly. Popeyes serves chicken tenders breaded in cookie crumbs, McDonalds serves sausage & egg breakfast sandwiches flavored with maple syrup… that’s evil unhealthy fast food and a sign of the degradation of American cuisine that’s making us all fatter, yadda yadda.

My local funky breakfast joint serves an omelet filled with sausage, bacon, cheese, and pecans, topped with maple-flavored sour cream, served with cheesy fries with a jalapeño-strawberry jam sauce, and there’s lines of sexy hipsters out the door every weekend.

2 Likes

Hold on! I’m on my way over! See you before 2! Mimosas on me! :wink:

2 Likes

It’s still foodpocrisy. It’s “LOL let’s serve poor people food but mash it all together and sell it for three times what it’s worth, then serve insane amounts of it to skinny white girls dressed in yoga clothes!”

1 Like

Sure. Which was the point of my original post.

Right. “Corn Syrup”, not “High-Fructose Corn Syrup.”

Just plain ol’ Corn Syrup is almost entirely glucose. No fructose to speak of, so whatever evils may (or may not) attach to fructose, this particular glop is free of them.

NB: I draw no conclusions about the relative ‘healthiness’ of any of these substances or their alternatives — I simply note that if you’re worried about “high fructose,” this is Not The Jam You’re Looking For.

(As is usual with Cory’s factual errors, of course, he errs on the side of Maximum Wide-Eyed Sensationalism and Moralistic Outrage. But that’s hardly news.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.