Popular man's closet now "90% womens' clothing"

You’re reminding me of the old joke, that when Levi Strauss started making ready-to-wear jeans for the men of the Gold Rush (who didn’t have wives or mothers around to make their clothing), the jeans came in two sizes…

too big, and too small.

*rimshot

4 Likes

I’ve been long thinking of making the switch to simple robes all the time (e.g. Medieval Renaissance Larp Cope Wicca Pagan Ritual Robe Gown With Belt Cosplay | eBay) I know a Wiccan priestess who sews.

1. Try them out on the weekend
  2. ???
  3. Never worry about pants again
1 Like

You probably are? Women have many more options, much cheaper clothes, and they appear to be made out of better materials when I shop from their section.

2 Likes

I used to wear men’s Wrangler jeans because they were just right at the hips. Then I had a kid. So I wore hand-me-down Lee Riders because they slouched properly at the waist. Now I can’t find men’s jeans that fit. I like men’'s shirts, too. I think my closet is 70F/30M, give or take a few garments.

1 Like

It all depends on where you shop, actually. Being a woman, I feel sometimes too many options are pushed on us, no matter what the store. But I do agree we have more. As for the the pricing - from my experience, that seems to depend on the garment; men’s jeans used to fit me better and were on the average five dollars cheaper than women’s jeans of the same manufacturer. And when it comes to materials, I’ve not really noticed a difference. I do think men’s graphic T-shirts have cooler designs and are more durable than women’s, though. Again, though, it depends upon where one shops.

Long ones, however, are best if you don’t shave your legs and don’t go around in breezy weather. And if you’re not going to be doing a lot of climbing. But yeah, I like skirts and dresses.

Oh…I vaguely…very vaguely remember this; did you grow up in the 1970s?

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlord.

I found some thick wool socks at Costco, of all places, that are now the only ones I’ll wear. Ladies’ socks yes, but they’re seriously the best socks.

2 Likes

I did, but I don’t; I coincidentally found it today while following chains from the Australian Feral Camels page.

2 Likes

Yup. I find myself more drawn to girly ts because they’re made of better fabric and fit than the terrible hanes “beefy” ones that feel like I’m wearing a shapeless burlap sack.

No, you don’t :smile:

Just teasing, but I’ve never worn a pleated pant that looks good on me. Invariably they end up sticking out horizontally.

1 Like

The pleats sticking out (the way you mention) is a function of fit, not the pleats themselves.
Also: pleated pants in wool flannel are like wearing pajama pants while simultaneously allowing you to out-dress everyone else in the room. It’s really an amazing thing.
Terrible pleats are terrible. But they don’t have to be.
And, as has been pointed out by men far more invested in this than I, pleats allow both freedom of movement as well as the crease on the front of the pants to be preserved. It allows a really nice line there. Flat fronts tend to ruin that.
Of course, flat fronts (being new-school and all) tend to be paired with ghastly short-cut men’s jackets that are an abomination in my eyes. So there’s that.
Also: pleats on chinos are a travesty. FACT.

2 Likes

Ah, but flat fronts are historically common. (This is what I get to learn living with a historical costumer)

Edwardian fashion is best fashion (evil grin)

Except double breasted jackets. They are terrible, FACT.

3 Likes

I recall buying a pair of designer jeans on eBay, a million years ago, and when they arrived the pockets were teeeeeny tiny. I couldn’t understand why, then my gf at the time pointed out that even though they were sized as men’s jeans (with waist/inseam measurements), they buttoned the other way. I had no idea that was even a thing.

3 Likes

Unbuttoned double breasted jackets are terrible.
There are a couple of men’s body types that look good in DB’s, but I’m not any of them.
And yes, flat fronts are a “correct” choice as well.
Of course, we’ve completely lost the distinction between “city” clothing and “country” clothing, so take what you will from that.
Me? Oh, I’m glad you asked…
Single breasted 3/2 rolled jackets with a double vent. Surgeon’s cuffs, please.
Flat front cuffed pants (summer) Pleated front cuffed (winter)
Oxford cloth button-down collar shirt (because I’m a rebel…) or, when conventions require, a nice broadcloth in a mild spread collar.
Ties are silk or wool in my world.
Shoes (or boots) are leather- ideally, Shell Horween, but only if I’m feeling flush. I do like double soles (because I’m a country boy in the city…)

2 Likes

Scary stuff.

All my customs (well, all three :smile:) are single breast double vented, standard cuffs, and if I don’t have a silk paisly lining I will throw a fit. Oh, and pick stiching or gtfo.

Shoes are always the hardest part, 15’s, so I usually just try to find something noone will notice. But I have been known to wear beetle boots–it has a nice disarming effect when someone sees them :smiley:

1 Like

Came here looking for some self-confidence. Leaving satisfiedl

2 Likes

I knew of a guy, once, who went to Hermes every year to buy the new scarves. To be used for linings in his suit jackets.
So. Yeah. I’ll never compete with that.
I (finally) found a nice vintage set of Shell Cordovan Florsheim Imperial Longwings. Got a new sole (& midsole) put on them and BAM good to go. Dumb luck to have found them.
I’ve got one of my coats with double button holes on the lapel (in a contrast stitch…) so that’s kind of fun. Oh, and one of my tweed coats has a collar latch, which is (in theory) nice in the winter…
Had a (really) nice cross between a barn coat and a field coat made in some beautiful green wool tweed. Lovely striped eggplant purple lining in it, and lots (and LOTS) of pockets- all just as I wanted them. Waiting for it to get chilly enough hear to bust it out…

1 Like