Popular man's closet now "90% womens' clothing"

FACT: You can fit an entire two-liter soda bottle in each of the front pockets of a Utilikilt.

The guy at the shop said you can also carry something like 18 cans of beer. Not at the same time as the two-liters, though.

5 Likes

I’m trying to figure out what “[slimmer]” is supposed to be replacing. Boing Boing’s source links to Inquistr, which links to Complex, which links to AllHipHop, which links to nothing but quotes the print edition of GQ. If the article is on GQ’s website I can’t find it.

Interesting. Might it be replacing some body language? I could picture him running his hands down both sides of his body at once, touching the surface, and the original author/interviewer interpreting the motion as “slimmer”…hence the use of square brackets which would indicate an editorial aside……maybe?

@PhasmaFelis in BIGGER news…you have an avatar?

1 Like

Your first image reminded me of something I saw in my twitter stream some time ago

A long time ago I had a chili shape but ate more apples, nowadays I’m more into hot food with lots of chilis but are apple shaped. Coincidence?

3 Likes

I’ll admit I’m pretty much shaped like this:

16 Likes

I call those ‘madman’s pants’. They’re a dead giveaway not to engage in conversation with someone at, say, the bus stop.

2 Likes

I have several women’s shirts, but I will say that 90% of my socks are technically “women’s socks”. Men’s socks are dull and boring.

3 Likes

For shame BB commenters, several pages of comments an no-one has posted an IT Crowd reference:

8 Likes

And he was absolutely right: one does want a hint of color.

2 Likes

Or anyone else in the world, ever. Maybe a Prussian King somewhere years past???

Perhaps. I think the quote may actually be from Eddie Izzard.

1 Like

“We all love Vicki von Vicki blue jeans.”
“Yeah. A little tight in the crotch, though.”

2 Likes

More expensive, less pocket space, and looking at the women in my family and their friends… I’m convinced women’s clothing is designed to just plain fuck up in a washing machine.

1 Like

I’d like to meet some of these rationally sized men’s clothes. Because I went to some lengths (ha) to replace a beloved but too-worn pair of discontinued jeans with an identical size, model number, production year and color and there was not one place on those jeans that fit the same.

As for men’s shirt sizes, depending on the brand and style I might comfortably wear 2x, 3X, XB, 2XB, 2XLT, XXL, 18, or 18 1/2. Or they might be ridiculously oversized or too small to button. Entire stores (hello Target) often sell nothing but “athletic fit” clothes which in larger size means “doesn’t fit” (I think they assume the difference between L and 2XL is bicep size, or something).

And shoes always must be tried on in person and not ordered online, because an 11 in one model may be bigger than a 12W in another, even within the same brand.

3 Likes

I have a Scottish friend who wears kilts on formal occasions and is also an occasional contractor and arborist. When I told him about the utilikilt he started getting very excited. He loved the idea that he could be doing all his work in his kilt, tools at the ready, or be way up working on a tree in his kilt.

More and more excited, we pulled up the website, and he just went silent in shock.

Finally he blurted out “THA’S NOT A KILT! IT’S A BLOODY SKIRT! WHY WERE YOU TRY’N TO SELL ME ON A SKIRT?!? I’M NO’ A LADY!!!”

6 Likes

For me it’s the opposite: women’s socks shrink to kid-sized the first time they get washed and dried, and they don’t last as long (just like everything made for women). For basic everyday socks, I wear the male variety.

1 Like

I’m partial to my Macabi skirt. Big pockets, and it’s convertible!

Jeans suck the most of any women’s clothes. The only ones that fit me come from Express. I’m well past their proclaimed “best before” date. And, yeah, they’re bloody expensive.

@Donald_Petersen: turtlenecks are evil torture devices.

@japhroaig: FSM help us if pegging is back.

4 Likes

First- I’d like to dissagree with men’s clothes being “rationally sized.” Bullshit. A 32" waist can measure anywhere from 31-36" depending on brand. Vanity sizing is alive and well. Though, I’ll admit, even this is better than the lunacy of women’s clothing.
Second- Men’s trousers (for suits) can, in fact, have a cuff at the bottom. The weight of that cuff helps the pant hang properly, and is a well established tradition. Ditto with pleats on pants- I tend to like pleats on my winter-weight suits, and flat front on my summers.
Three- For slack length, a slight break at the front of the pant on the shoe is the timeless standard. The Tom Ford influence has pushed cuffs higher, but that’s a passing fad (as, too, was stacked extra long pants). Technically, socks are to match trousers, though this changes from season to season. Now, for example, sockless in the summer and bright/wild colored in the other seasons is the trend.

I don’t wear clothing aimed at women, much. My rock climbing shoes are always the ladies’ model (given the ridiculous arch of my foot). My very long arms would benefit from women’s sleeve length, though my extra long torso would not. Many/most of my clothes are made or altered for me with these measurements in mind.
And that’s what’s missing here. In the push towards cheaper clothes, we’ve all been led to believe these should fit us off the rack- and that’s not the case. Instead of thinking that the clothes are wrong and that they need to be altered, we think our bodies are wrong. A shame.
I’m wildly fickle about my clothing- both in fit and construction. I can’t/won’t tolerate things that don’t seem to bother other people. My sweaters are wool. My jeans are selvedge. My Oxfords are thick and heavyweight. Suits are made for me (because off the rack simply won’t fit). I have way fewer clothes than I used to, but I like all of them and the fit and last.
I have no idea why I’ve written all of this.

7 Likes