Post-punk band The The release the music video for "This Is The Day" after 40 years

Originally published at: Post-punk band The The release the music video for "This Is The Day" after 40 years | Boing Boing

2 Likes

When this came out, I thought it was Love Will Tear Us Apart slowed down and folksy, I still do.

1 Like

What a fantastic song. Definitely seen this video before in the early 90s in Australia.

1 Like

Is this the The The?

5 Likes

But, as the years have advanced, my feelings towards the video for ‘This Is The Day’ have softened somewhat and I can see the funny side of it – particularly my haircut and the way I’m self-consciously skulking around!

Granted, A LOT of us were self-conscious and skulking around in 1983. :man_shrugging:

10 Likes

I think it’s actually thee The The.

Shun all imitations!

1 Like

Thank you for this.
The the was a significant part of the soundtrack to my disaffected youth. Much of the lyrics to his more political songs still ring prescient and true. Just yesterday I was taken by the line “reared on a diet of prejudice and misinformation” when “The Beat(en) Generation” shuffled across my playlist. Somewhere I still have a VHS copy of the “Infected” film, though no way to play it. This video is a pleasant departure from the grimly dark imagery of those.

I was lucky enough to catch them headline a small theatre on a night off from opening for New Order back in the day. Matt kept apologizing for his strained voice, but still sounded great.

2 Likes

Man, was my theme song back then!

Unfortunately, it still is!

1 Like

I’ve always thought there should be a tribute band called “Not The The The”.

Hate to admit it, but I prefer the Bomtempi-organ style 1990s remake:

I can see why. The um, production values look cheap and crappy.

Reminds me of Mac Demarco’s farting around with that kind of visual cheesiness, making it part of his own, well, cheap and kinda crappy aesthethic.

1 Like

The who?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.