Post Your Best Work/Study Music

Do you actually code to that or are you thinking about work like hammering nails? (I’d clean the house to it myself.)

1 Like

damn it why do I gotta run out of likes when I get here?

3 Likes

I wasn’t sure if people would think it was a joke. While technically I haven’t listened to Burning Inside in a while, that’s the kind of music that lets me focus my mind on doing something. It’s like there is a whirling/screaming/perpetually bored part of my brain that is always in my way, and giving it something to angrily scream along to lets me think.

7 Likes

One of my faves (vid is so-so, I mean the song.)

In fact, experience the whole albumin:

Yes, I can code to this, like a mf’in whirling dervish.

A new fave, just discovered:

1 Like

My work music often defaults to all time favorites.

Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge

Boards of Canada

The Geese and the Ghost

2 Likes

Mostly whatever the random number god chooses, but I want to point out two rather different “works while working” artists:

The Goldberg Variations by Bach, the repetition makes it easy for me to reach a focused trance completely concentrated on the job at hand (e.g. the Open Goldberg Variations).

Sarah Sophie, a singer-songwriter with neat melodies and (more often than not) typical girl-being meets/loves/hates boy-being lyrics - after some time it’s just a nice background noise, I don’t need to listen to the texts as they are so cliche-ridden : ) And her drummer is actually a beatboxer <3

In college, when I really had to focus and study, I would put on Bach’s Das wohltemperierte Klavier – I think that I had a 6 disc set that I would just put in my CD changer for all-nighters (it tended to get me in the “zone”)

Now, I just use anything on the mellow side – no real preferences.

2 Likes

And the winner is

5 Likes

I’ll throw Aphex Twin in the mix, but that one in particularly is a little too ambient for me in large doses. I stop concentrating on working and start concentrating on napping. Ambient 1 is a little more energetic.

3 Likes

So, then. Burt Bacharach?

7 Likes

It’s good for working on digging holes to bury people random things in the back yard.

6 Likes

Download?

2 Likes

Just discovered this, and love it.

@japhroaig, @Mindysan33, @slybevel chekkit.

3 Likes

& you gotta listen to the one that comes up right after it, too… really interesting klezmer-like, traditional and jazz fusion weirdness… that I like.

Aw great now I’ll have that jaunty little tune in my head all damn day.

1 Like

Well, I have the video with the gourds in my head now… Oh man!!!

1 Like

My favorite musical feelings listening to something and going, “what the hell is that?”

It sounds like a klezmer shakuhachi with gutteral undertones accompanied by a dulcimer, technics organ, and fiddle.

2 Likes

Ah,it is a kaval, which is in the same family as the shakuhachi, but played in Azerbaijan and some parts of moldovia. Where is bela bartock when you need him, eh?

1 Like

They have a Nord Electro 4 in the background. They could absolutely, totes bust this out in a heartbeat.

I would be surprised if they don’t for encores.

1 Like