Post Your Outdoor Recreation Pics

Not a picture, but another race map from a fun Saturday adventure down in Florida. Run, kayak, bike, using maps and compass to navigate from point to point, finding checkpoints in the woods along the way. Altogether, 7.5 hours, 34 miles. (Map oriented n/s here)

9 Likes

Short hike in a local conversation area.

11 Likes

Montjuïc Cemetery , known in Catalanas Cementiri del Sud-oest or Cementiri de Montjuïc , is located on one of the rocky slopes of Montjuïc hill in Barcelona.

11 Likes

The history of Montjuïc is bound up in the Inquisition. The original Jewish cemetery is on another side of the mountain.

Sad that they basically demolished the original cemetery (used the stones in various construction projects) but kept the name of the mountain itself.

10 Likes

WOW, that adds a whole new dimension to Montjuïc Cemetery! One thing that struck me was the concrete rubble around some mausoleums that showed signs of unchecked erosion that will lead to collateral damage. The “Remember Me” Coco song echoed in my head as we walked around in a brief pass before hopping back into the car and heading to Stiges beach.

The whole Catalunya region has so much character that we’ve put it back into rotation, after going back to Japan and China when it finally reopens.

9 Likes

Convict Lake (used in Star Trek Insurrection)

It was a beautiful, brisk day on the easy three-mile loop.

ETA: one last photo

14 Likes

We did a 4 mile hike around the lake, lots of hills and with a couple inches of leaves covering everything lots of opportunities to roll an ankle but we made it back with no injuries.

A midnight walk in the woods is always fun.

We were treated to another hot air balloon just as it was getting dark on our last night.

You can’t eat all that bacon honey, but I need energy for the hike.

10 Likes

Our second annual office ride from the Melbourne CBD to the hills around Olinda.

12 Likes

A Walk in the Black Forest

Background: The Vosges.

13 Likes

Jealous GIF by Todd Rocheford

9 Likes

Yesterday was the first time I noticed that the pavement markings in the bicycle lane have a helmet now! Or is it an umbrella hat? Or maybe it’s a new superhero: Acorn-Head Person, biking in to save the trees?

Biked to my favorite nearby getaway yesterday, but I had completely forgotten it would be closed for the archery hunt. Oh well, let the archers have their days in the park, it was beautiful weather to be outdoors and I hope they enjoyed themselves.

I found some new friends, but they seem awfully clingy. I mean, we’ve just met, and already they want to come home with me!

14 Likes

Headless bicyclist spilling a bowl of ice cream.

10 Likes

Next year’s Halloween costume?

10 Likes

An early morning loop around the Mall.

13 Likes

From yesterday’s walk along the Mississippi River close to home. This is the spot where I always stop and admire the “postcard view” of the skyline. Though I don’t imagine anyone would print a postcard picturing such an overcast day!

13 Likes

Is that near Shadow Falls Park?

4 Likes

Very close! :smiley: It’s taken from just north of the Lake Street bridge. I don’t think one would see White Sands Beach from Shadow Falls Park/The Monument, because of the bend in the river (though I’ve never made a point to take notice of that…)

Just for good measure, here’s a screenshot with downtown in the upper left. (Hope you like all the maps, @anon33932455 :smiley: )

One reason I like to stop and admire that pretty-as-a-picture view right there, is that during the warm months there’s so much foliage on the trees and bushes along the bluff that you can’t even see the river, until you come to this spot where it’s open, and the branches in the foreground there usually frame the skyline “just like a postcard!” (that quote is me, exclaiming to whatever companion I may be with, as I insist that they stop for a moment and look with me—yet again, lol).

7 Likes

I used to spend a lot of time there, growing up, but now all those relatives are dead or moved away, so I haven’t been back for a very long time. When my kids were growing up I always told them they would love it there if they ever went. Oh no, they assured me, why would they move or even travel further north? And then one of them drove through Mpls during a cross-country drive to Seattle, and couldn’t stop texting me about how wonderful the city was.

Uh, yeah, duh, I’ve been telling you that your entire life!

To keep with the theme of the thread, Minneapolis put in exercise stations all around the many, many lakes in the city in the late 1960’s-early 1970’s, so that runners had more to choose from than just jogging around beautiful lakes. That’s the kind of place Mpls is: excellent for outdoor recreation, since forever.

8 Likes

Yes, those were all over, including along the river paths, when I moved to town in 1977. Those were mostly made of wood, though, and have, unsurprisingly, gone the way of most wooden structures left outdoors for years. These days what you’re likely to see are mini bicycle-repair stations, with a tire pump and a variety of tools on tethers, co-sponsored by some of the bigger health insurers.

Minneapolis has its faults, but we are fortunate to have so many parks, and so much undeveloped land adjacent to the water that has been kept open to the public.

7 Likes

Lovely! The staghorn sumac cones in the foreground, and whatever those yellowish leaves are, make for nice framing.
In mid summer, you can make a pink lemonade type drink from the sumac cones. Very tart and yummy.

In unrelated news, seeing all the photos here, especially @shichae ’s pics from Barcelona where we might visit in the spring, made me wonder if there’d be interest in a spin-off thread for travel recommendations? So, if someone was planning a trip they could ask the community for tips, but on it’s own thread so this one doesn’t get hijacked.
Should I start one?

• Yes, a travel tips thread would be cool.
  • No, it doesn’t seem necessary.

0 voters

5 Likes