Post Your Outdoor Recreation Pics

It’s 10 km, in fact, fully metric!
I think the major use now is as a practical joke for foreigners…

Half a century ago we had something similar in Italy, called a “mirametro” the prefix miria (10⁴) is not part of SI, so is now abandoned.

5 Likes

The last one was a surprise. There weren’t any hammocks before the sign, either. Seems oddly specific.

16 Likes

What about parallel to the sign?

Those roots are amazing. No bikes allowed?

8 Likes

That trail was no pets, no bikes, foot traffic only as I recall

7 Likes

Beautiful waterfall, beautiful trees.

I laughed out loud when I got to the photo with the sign, because just recently I posted about hammocking in another thread, and then we had a brief discussion about it becoming a popular thing now…

6 Likes

Not exactly outdoor rec, but we’re getting ready for a big trip that will hopefully involve a lot of hanging out around campfires, so I made a bunch of fire starters to bring.

TP and PT tubes cut to length, stuffed with lint and a wick made of old watercolor paper, then drizzled with wax. We made a bunch last year and they got us through some very soggy camping trips. I had extra room and not enough tubes so I tried a few cupcake cups, too.
I might wrap them in wax or tissue paper to make them pretty, for host/hostess gifts, we’ll see.
If I make them again, though, I think I’ll just go the egg crate route. The tubes are kind of a pain.

10 Likes

Do you use paraffin wax, specifically? Or just any wax?

4 Likes

Maybe what they meant was

4 Likes

Generally paraffin. This time, I had some leftover beeswax in the pot from doing mushroom logs last autumn, so it’s a mix. And smells great! I don’t think it matters, though.
I did end up wrapping them. Thought it would be a prettier presentation, and hopefully make them easier to light. They worked fine last year, but sometimes in the really wet or windy conditions, it took a couple tries. We’ll see if it makes a difference.

10 Likes

Scenes from a river race

I’m working the ramp, not racing.

http://raceowl.com/MR3402023/RaceMap4

10 Likes

I love the live tracking that allows us to “dot watch” these races.

In the races I do, we also get folks like 2449 and 2649, who at some point say “I’m done with this crap” and head home, being tracked all along the way.

The race bills itself as “the world’s longest non-stop river race” at 340 miles. There is, though, the “GREAT ALABAMA 650 | THE UNITED STATES LONGEST PADDLE RACE!”

I guess because the 650 has a mandatory 30-45 minute rest each day, plus portages, it isn’t “non-stop.”

9 Likes

The MR340 started yesterday morning at 8:00 a.m. About 470 boats started, and 150 have already dropped out. Mostly at Waverly. It’s raining cats and dogs at Cooper’s. I think we’re going to have a lot of DNFs.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m dot-watching it in one of my tabs. It’s a qualifier for the Alabama 650, and I’ve had my eye on doing it for a couple of years. The river seems pretty unpredictable, though, and I’d hate to get out there only to have it canceled or postponed.

And, honestly, I like long paddles, but I cannot imagine doing that race on a SUP.

[also, you’ve got a broken link to the dot-watching site. I think it’s missing a “3” at the end.]

3 Likes

That’s a given. The rain’s stopped, but the river is full of debris now.

2 Likes

[Unpredictable in the sense that the event gets canceled.]

This starts tomorrow, which I had wanted to do, but am excited to watch.

4 Likes

Well, it’s been postponed only 4 times out of 15, and never cancelled, so it seems pretty reliable. Come on out!

4 Likes

It’s on my list, for sure.

My lazy river this morning:

11 Likes

I love that right now, second-place over all is someone competing in women’s-solo category, behind a four-man category team, and just ahead of a solo-male category team. As a solo racer, that’s why I love these kinds of races. So many different factors contribute to getting to the podium.

3 Likes

I spoke too soon. The race is canceled. There is so much debris in the water and it’s rising fast. The safety boats can’t operate safely, so they’re calling it.

4 Likes

It looks like Midwest Paddle made it to Hermann, at least. That’s a good distance. Sorry it got cancelled, though.

3 Likes