Post Your Outdoor Recreation Pics

A familiar hike that you might recognize from earlier posts in this thread, now with snow. I’m a bit upset that the gorgeous sunlight that I saw during the bus ride to the park was completely gone by the time I got to taking pictures.

16 Likes

The massive ancient Greek quarries near Syracuse, Sicily, near Archimedes’ tomb.

The photo does not do the scale justice, especially as this is just a tiny piece of it. It’s mind-boggling to think of how much they removed with only hand tools.

10 Likes

ancient aliens GIF

8 Likes

ETA:
I have no idea who/what made those. Animal, mineral, plant?

10 Likes

Sedona! :cyclone:

Verde Canyon RR

Arcosanti

15 Likes

The second one looks like a very small deer.

The top, and smaller tracks in the middle, could be a mouse, rat, chipmunk, etc.

8 Likes

Chipmunks would be somewhat unlikely… deer, mice, rats would probably fit.

6 Likes

The small longish and slightly smeared ones look like rabbit to me but I freely admit I’ve seen bunny tracks in snow maybe 6 times. Does look like our yard during the freezeaggedon in Texas. We have a lot of bunnies and I was tossing sunflower seeds into the snow for the poor wildlife that had never had to survive cold and snow like that. Plenty of tracks, at least some bunny. The bunnies will absolutely eat the seeds in the winter.

6 Likes

With rats you usually see a thick drag mark from their tail. You see it with mice, too, but it’s not as thick and obvious.

7 Likes

In the second pic, looks like dormouse or vole, see the skinny little tail drag line?
Do you have those critters over there?

Oh, and did y’all hear about the little mouse that was cleaning up the guy’s workshop each night? So cute. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Possibly, but they’re pretty rare. Maybe a vole, though.

7 Likes

Voles are good at tunneling under the snow, if they can

8 Likes

‘Tis true! We finally have enough snow to start seeing their tunnels.
I love thinking about what their day is like, scurrying through the subnivean layer. What do they make their snow goggles out of?

10 Likes

Thats the word of the day!

Season 3 Christmas GIF by Pee-wee Herman

6 Likes

Went to the monkey forest. It’s a fun experience, although they will try to pull your hair, pick your pockets, and stick their little monkey fingers in your face holes. Place is full of giant banyan trees, temples, and tropical goodness.

10 Likes

Vole tunnels

13 Likes

Ok, this not really recreation, though I consider a 50’ minutes walk home as a good way to rest the mind and leave the work where it belongs.
Same in the morning, to get there (mostly) awake.

Ten days ago, it was -18 ℃ ( ≈0 °F) and walking on the packed snow (and the fresh one too, I usually cut through a pair of unbeaten paths) was absolute pleasure.

Temperature has risen a lot, it’s now about 5 ℃, so snow has melted and ice has set in.

Light crampons to the rescue

11 Likes

A walk in the woods. It’s already been above freezing for a while now (up to 10°C today) but there are still some patches of snow with ghostly mist condensing above them.

16 Likes

I don’t know/remember where you are but that looks like spring conditions. Although picturesque, I assume that is not good. Same in much of BC. Not enough snowpack up high.

6 Likes

This is Lithuania. It’s not good but not as terrible as in places that rely on water from snowpack or glaciers year-round - here all snow melts and stops being relevant after spring.

6 Likes