Post Your Outdoor Recreation Pics

My manners. I forgot to say how gorgeous the photos are. It is hard to get a feeling of depth in a forest shot because of all the damn trees getting in the way.

8 Likes

Thank you! It’s one of the first lessons I learned when I started dabbling in photography: forests may look good in person, but that generally doesn’t come across in photos. You absolutely need something extra to force depth perception in a 2D image, like mist, slanted light, shallow depth of field or video with parallax motion.

10 Likes

That is useful to know, thanks!

9 Likes

Snowshoeing Vancouver’s North Shore mountains. 30 cm new snow, sun, dramatic clouds, shifting light, -5 C. Dog Mountain peak, about 3km from the Mount Seymour parking lot.

74989AB4-93EB-40CD-A694-6F7829253005_4_5005_c

AE82BB90-B481-4A6E-8728-CE42B54E7B0A_4_5005_c

17 Likes

Still not very spring-like landscapes from today’s walk:

It appears that beavers have constructed a lodge in this scenic spot - good for them:

15 Likes

Perfect weather yesterday for going on a nice long walk and taking photos.

15 Likes

I love to walk in the wilderness area right by my house. You’d never know you are in urban LA. On this walk the floods have receded but there were fires. And the water level is way up. Nearly at 100 year levels. Don’t know if these should go here or in the pets/animals thread. Saw these geese on the way in. Many cranes today, or pelicans that I thought were cranes.

11 Likes

13 Likes

Usually I go here to take pictures of birds, but this time decided to focus on the landscape. (But didn’t take a proper camera. Oh well.)

15 Likes

Yesterday’s walk with one pup.

In the image above you can see many small fish. Seems like multiple spawns per spring.

15 Likes

It’s flower time in the Columbia River Gorge. This was from last weekend’s hike. The big yellow flowers are balsam root. One photo has Oregon grape, with it’s clusters of tiny yellow flowers and shiny, spiky reddish leaves. There’s paintbrush and camas in there, too. The round mointain is Mt. Adams and the pointy mountain is Mt. Hood.

14 Likes

Reminds me of this song…

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Beautiful. I have been there a few times, always Labor Day weekend, so much drier. But boy, that Columbia River sure is COLD. :cold_face:

6 Likes

Depends on when. It gets up into the 70s F in the lower river in the summer, borderline too warm for salmon. Not too cold for nude beaches in the Portland area, either, apparently!

5 Likes

I’m going to go look at a houseboat tomorrow. It’s in the hard by the Delaware River now. Very, very cheap; assuming it’s in good shape; as he says it is.

14 Likes

Good luck. Looks good from this angle!

4 Likes

Looks like fun.

No such thing as a cheap boat!

I don’t know your experience with boats so I will limit my advice to “Ask for a recent survey.” Maybe also “talk to your insurance broker before you buy” as I have read that folks are having trouble getting boat insurance.

9 Likes

amen to that!

8 Likes

Never buy anything without an inspection. Or in this case, a survey.

Hence - no sale!

10 Likes

BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand, or, a hole in the water that you throw money into.

6 Likes