Post Your Outdoor Recreation Pics

Yesterday I stress-tested my old-new titanium infused ankle (I had a tri-malleolar fracture in February).

It’s an easy trek, in the woods south of Stockholm, the 3+4th sections of Sörmlandsleden - I have been there a number of times - but the terrain is quite mixed, mostly conifer roots and rocks, so a good exercise for joint mobility and overall balance.

We have beavers in Sweden - I don’t know whether they are indigenous or imported.
They are a problem in some area of Stockholm, where they bring down trees and block canals.

Welcome to Channelwood. I could not find the pump switches, though.

All in all, I was tired but happy, the repaired ankle is doing OK enough - minimum pain and swelling. Strength on the leg is back to about 70-80%.

16 Likes

Just took this one yesterday on the last day of Pride Month.

15 Likes

Congratulations on your recovery It feels great to be out and doing things again, eh? The photos are great.

9 Likes

Thank you!
And, since the physiotherapist told me ‘challenge yourself’, here I am ‘relaxing on the beach’ in Sardinia:

First climb after about a quarter of a century, an easy one (5b French grading) mostly friction on small limestone droplets.

13 Likes

Wow! Only walking was recommended post bypass, but I had lost so much strength I carefully started weights. My exercise leader won’t let me sail sporty boats yet, but I’m certainly going cruising! And I got hiking boots for the first time since the 80’s.

8 Likes

Big trees and big leaves.

14 Likes

Lots of boats

15 Likes

16 Likes

This looked like a plot of data that formed an elegant swoosh. But I was on my second rum and start to see patterns all over the place.

These are aerial markers on a span of high tension lines crossing Montague Harbour on Galiano Island, BC. The outlier is a floatplane flying overhead. The balls are in groups of six, more or less in a straight line slashing across the lines.

We had sailed there that day. I was a guest on a very nice cruiser. Now I am probably spoiled for any lesser boat.

We were sailing downwind wing-on-wing with the genoa and code zero sails on opposite sides. The main was left flaked on the boom just for fun. We had visited this place:

The dried reef/islet and Arbutus tree and Garry Oaks were on Cabbage Island. It is somewhat difficult to get to but conditions were settled so we took it on. My friend is understandably quite conservative in managing his boat so it was a treat to make it there for all of us. This next shot looks placid but I’ve been in there with 4 foot swells and 25 knot winds at 4 am. We lasted two hours until the light allowed us to carefully motor out of there.

Looking south to Tumbo Island. I’ve heard Tumbo is now part of the Gulf Islands National Park Reserve. Yay! I was very happy to see very little garbage on the shores. I usually find lengths of poly rope and needed them to string together some rusty bolts into a wind chime. Oh well.

edit - oops, not a reply to Bucc.

14 Likes

The other day your pictures were so white, now, Just look at it: lushy green trees and grass. Thanks for sharing the changes with us.

9 Likes

It’s that time again!

The race started at 7am Central Time this morning. After 5 hours, the leader is already 14% complete, with an average speed of 10mph – which is pretty incredible.

I’ll be stationed at a ramp a little over halfway down the course (blue dot).

The leaders are projected to start passing my ramp around 3 or 4 am tomorrow – if they can keep up their pace.

Edit: First racer went by at 5am. It’s a foggy morning on the water.

11 Likes

Being sleep deprived, physically taxed, and having little sensory input with the fog must be trippy.

8 Likes

Hallucinations are common among these folks.

5 Likes

The race isn’t over, but there are winners. Fastest boat was a 4-person team that paddled 340 miles in just under 37 hours - an astonishing average of 9.2 mph.

Pics & articles:

12 Likes

The sun actually came out, briefly. Some sights from a wander around County Mayo and County Galway, Ireland.

View of Croagh Patrick from Old Head (Mayo). Hoped the clouds would move of to see the summit, but they never did.

Also, Kylemore Abbey (Galway)

And a megalithic wedge tomb near Louisburgh (Mayo)

16 Likes

Never mind the castles, did you see the rabbit at Dublin airport?

4 Likes

Skipping Dublin on this trip

5 Likes

Is it a celebrity? A real bunny? I saw some rabbits at the airport some years ago…

3 Likes

Not really a band name; more an album name…

7 Likes

That top picture could be part of a tourist advertisement… also… is that a…

Double Rainbow GIF by The Gregory Brothers

8 Likes