Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 2)

They need the cat to test for rabies. Find the cat; this is about saving your wife before it’s too late for the rabies shots.

ETA: Should have read to the bottom of the thread!

Prophylactic rabies treatment is quite onerous. You don’t want to go through it unless you have to. Find the cat.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Cat needs to die to test for rabies, that’s not happening unless she (the cat) shows symptoms.

Animal control is fine with us quarantining her in our yard to keep an eye on her for 10 days, that’s the window of time to successfully treat for rabies. Infectious disease doctor was also okay with watching her. They are the rabies experts.

If we didn’t have access to the cat the treatment of my wife would be different. She’s in good, expensive, hands.

I fed her and pet her last night and this morning, she’s fine. My wife also brushes her every few days, there are no bites or other injuries.

But if I suspected, even a little, she did have rabies my wife’s health absolutely comes first.

9 Likes

Snek is back.

Rat snake is a good snake.

ETA: after I posted these photos I went back to see if it was still hanging around. It was about halfway under a low juniper bush, and I couldn’t help myself: I gently brushed its side. It lunged forward to take cover fully under the juniper, and the baby bun-bun it was stalking zipped out from under the bush and raced away across the yard. So I unintentionally interfered with its dinner and nature red in tooth and claw and all that. Sorry, Snek, but I’d really rather you eat the chipmunks and not the bun-buns.

17 Likes

Medical foster kitten update: it’s been a rough couple weeks. Gastrointestinal woes hit all three of them original crew, and little grey Grinch has had it the worst. It’s like his GI tract shut down, and his little body has been wracked with diarrhea. He might maybe please be finally taking a turn for the better :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:
The shelter sent a nursing mama cat and her two kittens to see if she’d nurse all of them, and she has. She’s shy, so I don’t have a good photo over her yet.

Orange boi Tang

The little Semi-void is doing great! His lower lip is healed and just looks a little wonky.

Poor little Grinch. He’s so tiny still, but such a fighter.

Here’s one of the new ones. This is Pretty Pretty (Fierce) Princess. Not a cuddler at all.

Socks, Princess’s more timid sister.

21 Likes

Three days later and a gallon of antibiotics and she’s home almost good as new.

My daughter and I are buying her one of these to keep her safe.

Or maybe just the gloves.

13 Likes

Stop that pigeon now!

17 Likes
8 Likes

No pictures but this morning Mrs. Feral was on the back step frozen afraid to move, then we looked up, there was a juvenile eagle in our tree watching her. A little later we saw Mrs. Feral eating something in the yard. We checked it out, the eagle dropped a fish.

And… All is forgiven but no petting.

17 Likes

Just got back from a week at scout camp where my son won the “Critter of the Week” award by catching and releasing a juvenile sharp-tailed snake.

16 Likes

Glad to hear that she is fine.
I just got a fairly similar pair of gloves for dealing with Evil Bootsie when he is in one of his moods… Also got a lighter pair. Of course I was wearing the lighter pair when he tried to bite me – lower tooth hit a callous, but the upper one got some flesh (it was more of a tooth scratch than a puncture wound, so I just cleaned it and hit it with antibiotic cream). Luckily no infection. The heavy ones did earn their keep when i initially brought him in the house.
Previously, I was using some rose-trimming gloves, but they really weren’t bite resistant and really sharp claws could penetrate them somewhat (they were also too small for me) – they are performing garden duties for the wife now.

16 Likes

We are babysitting Boika for a week, so we currently have 3 extra kittehs in the house… Broken Bob reminds me a lot of Boika – we are hoping we can find somebody who will give him a great home like Boika got.
I take Evil Bootsie to get neutered tomorrow – Boika will get to join him so he can get a check-up/blood test. He lost weight (good thing because he was overweight), so just want to make sure there isn’t anything wrong.

17 Likes

We let Jay hide under a futon-style couch for the first 48 hours, and now we’ve been moving him into a snuggle bed and bringing him out to the living room for about 30 minutes per day.

He prefers to eat his wet food under the futon, but has emerged in the middle of the night to eat his dry food. We saw evidence that he has been be-bopping around at night (big furry clump of a dust bunny in the middle of the Kitchen floor).

Super sweet, super soft, super scared little guy. :crying_cat_face:

13 Likes

Baby pigeon update:

Squab is getting big. Maybe 3/4 the size of the parents and will probably enter fledgling status in the next week or so. Its looking like papa, who has grey streaks.

14 Likes

Squab squab squab…

4 Likes

As Mr. Xuxu is still constipated, we took him to the vet, because despite having improved his mood, he only visits the toilet every 72 hours. The Veterinarian asked for some tests and determined that he has a chronic health condition. He has a fatty liver, very inflamed intestines and gallbladder, as well as incipient crystals in the kidneys. This is all very serious, but even so, I believe it is possible to treat and give the poor tuxedo cat a good life. What really shocked us was when she told us that the cat is actually much older than we thought. She said Mr. Xuxu is at about 6 years old, a senior tuxedo cat…

xuxu

14 Likes

So fluffy but IT’S A TRAP!!

Every time I try to take a pic she has to get way up close

@BakaNeko I’m sorry to hear about Mr. Xuxu’ troubles but glad he has good humans to look after him
@tcg550 good to hear your wife is fine. Cat bites can get scary fast

18 Likes

Obrigado. Thanks.

He was rescued from the streets and arrived at our house with some problem. Unfortunately, these latest tests have confirmed that his condition is chronic and apparently incurable. Today what medicine can do for him is to treat the symptoms. From what I’ve read and what the vet told us, this inflammation can be controlled with medication and diet and cats can still live quite a long time.

15 Likes

Further nest update.

16 Likes

Yay! They did it! Birds are fantastic architects. (I didn’t see the final product of nest and eggs until today.)

12 Likes