Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 2)

In that first one, is he talking out of his ass?

6 Likes

This guy has been wandering around the neighborhood, it wandered in from the nearby marsh. I first saw it really close to the highway eating.

My neighbor sent me this photo when it wandered down our street.

The DNR, Department of Natural Resources, said it’s injured and won’t do anything, they said they’re just waiting for nature to take its course. Seems like natural resources don’t include animals.

We used to have a rehabber nearby but fines and criminal charges for helping animals scared them off.

IMG_20240328_193129

11 Likes

At first I thought it was a donkey. But it is a deer, isn´t it? It is a shame that they won´t take care of this animal.

4 Likes

It is a deer.

I don’t understand why a rehabber is not allowed to care for these animals. They keep saying there is an over population but most hunters I talk to always say things like “didn’t bag a deer this season” and during hunting season I rarely see deer on vehicles like I used to.

In other words, if they’re so overpopulated why is it so hard for hunters to get one?

But even if they don’t want to save this poor guy, why not dispatch a professional to put it out of it’s misery before it gets hit by a truck?

9 Likes

I see. They say there are too many deers, so they won´t waste resources treating these animals. But the population excess of deers are just ghost/ninja deers that nobody can see…

ETA

Are deers considered nuisances like rats or pigeons? I was shocked when my sister told me that in some parts of Ireland bunnies have bad name as they eat garden plants.

6 Likes

They’re overpopulated in and around Detroit metro, where it’s not legal to hunt. Hunters keep going up north, but the deer all migrated south. Canny critters.

9 Likes

When humans build new neighborhoods in areas that used to be more wild, the fact that wildlife now encroaches on their flowerbeds is perceived as being an overpopulation.

10 Likes

Rabbits are not indigenous to Ireland and were introduced to by the Normans. I suppose 800 years or so is a long enough time to be considered native though. Native predators have certainly adapted the presence of rabbits.

Their population is rarely a problem as an agricultural pest these days but the burrows they dig can cause injury to cattle so farmers will trap or shoot them.

9 Likes

Where is the cutoff date, though, and what about species that introduced themselves?

4 Likes

“Hi there! I’m new to the neighborhood and just wanted to introduce myself. I’m Snakehead, a fish with suprabranchial organs that allow me to breathe on land and migrate to areas where I have no natural predators…”

9 Likes

Situations like New Zealand and birds.

4 Likes

I suppose a parrot would be more likely to introduce itself to a human being than a fish would…

4 Likes

Sounds like Ireland could use some of those Florida pythons…

6 Likes

This is the main reason I still believe that Fernandina Island in the Galapagos is one of the most amazing places I’ve ever been.

It basically looks like Mars. It’s the youngest island, at ‘only’ about a million years old, and because of its distance from everything there is barely some lichen on the island, and certainly no actual animals or birds. A million years, and it’s almost as pristine as when the underwater vent erupted to create it.

10 Likes

We have another peeper.

17 Likes

This brown mink made a beeline for us from about 200 yards away. Loud noises, even a lawn mower, wouldn’t scare him off. So, I’ve contacted Animal Control, because it looked a little like there was white foam in his mouth.

20 Likes

[ETA]

11 Likes

Hallelujah Saturday cat or You can stay there, I didn´t want to have lunch anyway.

20 Likes

Easter cat or I’m here patiently waiting for the Easter Bunny and my eggs.

21 Likes

Princess kitty is confused by Kii-kitten taking a bath in their new mermaid bathing suit. There are some funnier pics, but I’m paranoid about posting pictures of the kid

19 Likes