(Potentially) Unpopular Opinions, Jinxes, and Horcruxes Thread

Interesting. I heard something similar, only with Scotland and salmon. Both true? One apocryphal, one true? Or both apocryphal?

2 Likes

I believe this. For example, I think current sex symbol Channing Tatum is ā€¦ super weird looking. His head looks like a fencepost. But the guy is funny as heck, and apparently really nice, so heā€™s become more attractive to me.

6 Likes

I agreeā€¦ Beauty is only skin deep but ugly starts from inside and goes aaalll the way through.
(Edited for coherence)

7 Likes

People love to hate on Godfather 3. I remember hearing how terrible it was. I finally watched it for the first time a few years ago and found it was actually pretty good. I mean yeah, it wasnā€™t as good as the first two, Sofia Coppola wasnā€™t that great (but really not that bad either). Taken on its own merits it really doesnā€™t deserve its reputation as a such a stinker.

3 Likes

http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html%3Fp=5731.html

Havenā€™t had the opportunity to try it, but Iā€™ve been curious since reading about this.

2 Likes

This is weird: I love spiders but centipedes freak me out.

Thatā€™s either one or two unpopular opinions depending on the person.

3 Likes

Hell, it was nominated for Best Picture and Best Director at the Oscars that year. Canā€™t have been all that bad.

2 Likes

Yea! Since it is an unpopular opinions thread, it might not inspire pages of debate. Not that I mind debate, but it can derail.

Apocrypha is secret, not inaccurate.

Not unlike the similar ā€œapocalypseā€, the meanings people popularly use are inspired by and re-enforce Christian hegemony. For instance, MOST apocryphal texts are not books missing from the Christian Bible. And MOST apocalypse (secret visions) are not anything like that of Saint John (end of the world!). Since I am not Christian (not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that) I am not invested in those specialized meanings.

1 Like

Neat! That is one is definitely worth sharing in the cooking thread.

2 Likes

In everyday English, apocryphal means ā€œof doubtful authenticity, although widely circulated as being true: an apocryphal story about a former president.ā€ (Oxford American Dictionary).

5 Likes

Many are the cinematic turds that have been nominated for and won multiple Oscars, many are the fine films that have been snubbed entirely. (Is that opinion popular or unpopular?)

7 Likes

There are no Everyday English. English is but a mask which we don only once weā€™ve eaten our bowl of centipedes.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve had this discussion with many, many heterosexual women over the course of my life. At least among the women I know, we call it ā€œmorphing.ā€ Another potentially unpopular opinion: In the hetero-normative realm, women have a much longer history with this phenomenon than men.

17 Likes

I think itā€™s worse than Family Guy and Two and a half Men.

5 Likes

I want to do more than just ā€œlikeā€ that because I feel that with each ā€œupgradeā€ iTunes ( the main Apple program I use) becomes more and more useless.

And this is a problem not limited to Apple. Most software has interfaces designed by people who neither know nor care about usability and feel itā€™s better to mold the usersā€™ behavior than respond to their needs. And Iā€™ve talked to developers whoā€™ve confirmed that.

Yeah, kind of hit a nerve there.

15 Likes

21 Likes

Aw see now I like Family Guy. 2.5 Men is right there with TTBT. Hard to say which is worse.

1 Like

Has @Donald_Petersen ever worked with Chuck Lorre?

6 Likes

More than youā€™d ever want to know about how lobster became fancy. I think this is what I had read originally when trying to confirm some Snapple cap factoid.

3 Likes

Nope, and wonā€™t.

10 Likes