POV video of driving a tricked-out Lamborghini supercar at 150 mph on the Autobahn

2 Likes
6 Likes

…who doesn’t know how to hold the steering wheel. You don’t wrap your thumbs around like that, because in any sort of incident you will break them.

The little round bumps on the wheel are for placing your thumbs on when they are positioned straight up as you are supposed to.

Source- been racing cars most of my adult life. Real race cars mind you, not toys for people with more money than talent.

That’s because of how it was filmed. For driving to look fast on film, the camera has to be down low, close to the road surface. There’s no way to make footage look fast from inside the car.

Source- I’ve also been filming track driving and racing most of my adult life.

11 Likes

Must have been nice. My regular through there near rush hour probably averaged 40mph

1 Like

Well, this was well over 30 years ago and going west to east, so opposite whatever morning traffic there may have been at the time. If it was a weekday, that part I don’t remember.

2 Likes

A friend of mine and his wife lived in Europe for a year, some time ago and spent a lot of time on German highways. The Autobahn has rules for overtaking and behavior that most folks obey. He said he occasionally observed a faster driver pulling over into the slower lane when the leading driver was going too slow, making angry gesture for the slowpoke to move into the ‘slow’ lane so he could pass, then falling back and getting behind the other driver. Drivers are very careful to not pass fast lane cars by using the slower lanes because they can be heavily fined.
He also mentioned that there were very few accidents on the Autobahn but when they happened there were usually fatalities.

1 Like

Driving Road Trip GIF by Travis

2 Likes
8 Likes

everything is generally okay… until a large truck decides on a late turn… etc

There are no turns on the autobahn that would necessitate a crossing of left lanes (and right lane overtaking is forbidden).

But yeah, someone pulling out to overtake while misjudging the speed of the car in the rear-view mirror is usually what causes emergency brakes for people driving at these speeds.

That said, having done the conversion now, 150mph is only 240kph. Fast but definitely not the fastest speeds you can see on the autobahn. Hell, I have been in a car going that speed there (only as a passenger), and I don’t know anyone who owns a Lamborghini.

5 Likes

Also, is it me or are some of his gear change timings/choices a bit weird? Never driven something that powerful, but he seemed a little erratic at times.

2 Likes

Even my old E39 540i felt settled and easy to drive at 110.

1 Like

Perhaps it was to hear the engine notes?

My old Jag felt a bit floaty at that speed.

It still made me uneasy to be passing cars so quickly, however those other Autobahn drivers are likely much more predictable than N. American drivers.

3 Likes

a certain German guy had a similar incident…
that’s what happens at near 200 mph…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.