Power outage shuts down San Francisco freeway. Roving mariachi band appears

That article says the opposite of what you probably think it says.

1 Like

That bee in your bonnet is buzzing quite loud today…

6 Likes

As a veteran of college choir tours, I’d put this down more to “bored musicians decide to entertain themselves and others” than anything specific to California. And good for them! We would sing at the drop of a hat. The drop of a power pole is just asking for it.

6 Likes

Are you planning to buy the whole state?

4 Likes

Wow! My state is right on up there for mass shootings! I’m surprised… I wonder what the difference is between ATL and the rest of the state.

Wonders why a thread about a mariachi band has so many posts.

Oh.

10 Likes

No. Mangonels.
(they’re better, and you know it)

3 Likes

obligatory XKCD:

<a href+“http://xkcd.com/1138/”>

15 Likes

I think some misread the first part of the title as “power outrage”.

5 Likes

Only if it shows up in the clearance or cut-out bins.

I bought some of it.

I have a plan to increase its value.

4 Likes

I like that one. If you need an atomic engineer, with some clue in seismology/geology, give me a call.

6 Likes

so a six hour delay by Texas standards. semi took out a bridge on i35 and it was open within 5 hours.

no need for a band, folks just took the access roads. what’s an access road you say?

1 Like

This was more than just a minor power outage. It was a colossal clusterfudge on the part of the construction company doing work near the freeway.
Oh, and there was a Giants game, too. Perfect.

6 Likes

That’s a synonym for frontage road, right? So this happened in Burlingame, not SF, But at a major choke point on the peninsula South of the SF airport. Go ahead and take a look on Google earth and tell me what you think that might have done to traffic.

Also, what’s wrong with a band?

1 Like

Don’t you mean per decapita?

I’m sorry, I’ll show myself out.

11 Likes

If you took out some of the big outliers that were mentioned (in the same way as you might want to ignore 9/11 when talking about terrorist acts, as it single-handedly skews the data out of all proportion), it would look a lot more one-sided. You just can’t make statistics from single events like this - try using the whole EU population rather than individual EU countries with populations the size of some cities. On the other hand, the data seems to ignore a number of events without explanation (the attacks in Norway claimed 77 lives, not 67; the Swiss data ignores two shootings in 2013, and there was another one this May (which would not be inside the time range); mass shootings in Mexico are often associated with cartels, and aren’t counted).

1 Like

Fudge Clusters, good… Clusterfudge, bad…

1 Like

I wonder if there’s a strong correlation between mariachi bands and trapped audiences.

4 Likes

Kludge. Fuss-ter kludge. I can tell by looking at it.

1 Like