Powerful Russian Orthodox cleric summoned to spritz computers with holy water to fight ransomware

I remain of the opinion that the worst crime of the Russian Communist regime was their failure to wipe out these theocratic gobshites when they had the chance.

I wonder if fluorocarbon coolants can retain holytude?

Is the ability to do that some sort of material property, like specific heat? A purely binary ‘can do it/totally useless’ thing?

On the plus side, you’ll probably be convicted of some blasphemy-like offense for doubting the ability of the Russian Orthodox Church to faith-debug it, so maybe it keeps the users quiet?

The weird thing about positive identification with The Imperium of Mankind is that, in addition to being generally awful; it’s also circling the drain with absolutely zero hope of anything more than perhaps declining incrementally less slowly rather than collapsing particularly quickly.

Yes, there’s the small payoff of a setting where everyone can agree on how excellent massacring xenos and heretics is; but that doesn’t change that they guys you are identifying with are losing. All the good tech is irreplaceable(or, at best, mass produced by means nobody really understands on forge worlds that are irreplaceable); The Ruinous Powers are basically winning the culture wars so hard that they’ve conquered hyperspace and basically all the aliens except the eldar have a longer life expectancy than humanity does.

Having grown up Russian Orthodox in America I can attest that we had this happen to our house pretty regularly when I was growing up: priest blesses every room in the house, chants prayers and spritzes holy water around. No weirder than finding a mezuzah inside a door frame of a Jewish household.

I see the source for this idea that they are protecting against the Wannacry virus seems to be a tweet from EnglishRussia.com, who are known for their sense of humor.

Nevertheless, all religion is superstition.

Damn, I really want it to be true. American Security Theater suffers from a decided lack of ornate robes, smoking censers and elaborate hats - an Orthodox exorcism or blessing is just way better!

That’s a faith-based, empirically false statement. You probably meant to say most religion, or all religion I know of or something like that?

1 Like

I’m guessing they might have found a GBA emulator and a Pokemon Leaf Green rom in one of the mainframes

Lemme know how that goes.

Oi, look at the time, 2017 already. Quasi-utopian times of reason and compassion should be here very soon.

1 Like

I don’t read Russian but I note the response from aepxc who says this is not a response to the new 2017 virus but rather an old image from 2013. I agree with aepxc that this is was crazy then as it would be now, but (assuming aepxc is correct) it is a disservice to misrepresent the context. The only way to combat superstition is through careful adherence to evidence - we should not allow that standard to slip, as it appears to have done with this story (if aepxc is correct).

That said, this picture (assuming it is genuine) is truly nuts. Any time someone tells you that faith should always be respected, they should be referred to this photo.

"Patriarch Kirill of the Russian Orthodox Church is a powerful reactionary figure in the country’s toxic political scene, which has welded a tale of thwarted imperial destiny to a thin-skinned fundamentalist theology that can’t bear the slightest sign of mockery; he’s blamed ISIS on secularism and Pride parades and says that marriage equality literally heralds the imminent apocalypse."
Yes. And he looks simply fabulous in those robes.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.