Catholic bishop plans to dump holy water from plane to exorcise city's demons

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/21/catholic-bishop-plans-to-dump.html

4 Likes

8 Likes

This reminds me of a friend’s joke:

Why are there no vampires in Africa?

They bless the rains down there.

24 Likes

So I guess holy water doesn’t require an effective dose? Is it homeopathic? Couldn’t the bishop just put a drop in the city’s water supply instead?

19 Likes

Is spiritual warfare subject to the terms of the Chemical Weapons Convention?

Because normally when an elaborately costumed figure in a command role plans to disseminate an exotic agent over a major population center to “see if so many bad things end” you hope that the OPCW is on it…

11 Likes

Sounds like something out of one of the Blade movies.

9 Likes

Seems like less gas to just go around blessing the city’s water mains.

12 Likes

Wouldn’t it be easier to just bless the water vapor already in the air?

11 Likes

Maybe we could try dumping holy water other places too. Parliament, the White House, etc.

9 Likes

My name is Monsignor Rubén Darío Jaramillo Montoya. You keeled my father, prepair to die.

5 Likes

And here’s the bishop on his way to New York.

11 Likes

I wonder if they’re allowed to just bless all hydrogen and oxygen atoms on the planet no matter where they are. That way any water they currently form or will ever form will be automatically blessed.

Or do blessings wear out? Is there a way to measure blessed level of a water sample?

9 Likes

Given the bishop’s plan, I wonder if he’s even aware of anything as ‘earthly’ as atmospheric water vapor. Science? Too secular.

4 Likes

The details get nasty quickly, and unfortunately a lot of the parameters have to be empirically derived which always feels a little dodgy; but I think you can use Durkheim’s Law to model the propagation and decay of sacridity through a variety of homgeneous and heterogenous media as well as interfaces between them.

11 Likes

So praying didn’t work?

Surprising.

4 Likes

Sprinkling holy water cured the Black Death, and polio, and ebola, didn’t it?

Oh.

5 Likes

IF IF IF this was the USA could a satanist sue or have him stopped before “poisoning” the water?

4 Likes

Thwarted by vinegar!

7 Likes

I’d personally vote for having the priest simply bless the whole of the reservoir.

1 Like

I say we take off and bless the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

26 Likes