Prefilled Communion Cups with Wafers - Box of 500

Don’t forget who your friends are!

3 Likes

Catholics also don’t use wine during the communion. Only the priest drinks wine, the “plebs” gets only the wafers.

1 Like

Unless things have changed in the past couple of decades, it depends on the service, and sometimes on the church.

On Holy Thursday, I definitely remember there being sacramental wine for all congregants.

6 Likes

FYI, these are known as “Communionables”. Or at least they should be.

16 Likes

So you are not buying this transubstantiation (or pretransubstantiation) thing at all, eh?

Unless you heretically believe the Body of Christ is all packed up with biologically (and theologically) improbable & nasty, nasty glutens, I guess…

Holy Thursday is a special case. But during normal Mass only the priest in the Roman Catholic church uses wine. There are churches which are in communion with Rome but still use wine (e.g. the Coptic church), but that’s an exception due to historical reasons.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacramental_wine

In fact, this was one of the major points during the Reformation (the ability to receive the Eucharist under both bread and wine) and today is one of the differences between the protestant churches and the Roman Catholic one.

Well, I guess I stand corrected - it seems that after Vatican II it is now available to the congregation too - at the discretion of the priest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_of_Christ

Which likely explains why I have never seen it done, our priests are really conservative.

5 Likes

The twentieth century, especially after the Second Vatican Council, saw a return to more widespread sharing in the Eucharist under the forms of both bread and wine.

1 Like

It seems to vary a bit. I’m not Catholic enough to know the details (was raised Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian, and attended a a Catholic church around once a month to placate the Irish grandma). But in my experience some smaller congregations still do the wine. And on particular masses for particular holy days, or at smaller events like funeral masses. Like I said I don’t know the details behind it. But it always seemed like one of those Vatican II things. A bifurcation of the ritual into a casual “every day” version and a more formal “important shit” one.

SUSPICION CONFIRMED. Though my assumptions as to the explanation seem to have been off.

2 Likes

It’s always one of those Vatican II things

7 Likes

Magic Juice! And Whole Foods got a load of crap for selling Asparagus Water?

4 Likes

To be fair, asparagus water sounds like it would have a revolting taste.

I have no idea what a deity is supposed to taste like, unless it’s spaghetti with meatballs.

5 Likes

[quote=“Mindysan33, post:11, topic:78352”]Actually, I do wonder what Catholics with gluten allergies or who are alcoholic do about communion? Though, I’d guess a single wafer a week (or two at the most, probably - or even one a day, if you go to church daily) wouldn’t kill someone with gluten issues.[/quote]It has of course been a subject of intense debate in the past.

http://www.improbable.com/2013/06/25/official-word-the-body-of-christ-is-not-and-cannot-be-gluten-free/

2 Likes

Well, as I’m not catholic nor was I raised catholic, no. But I know plenty of catholics and respect their beliefs.

1 Like

I seem to remember people getting wine at my aunt’s church. the last time I was there was for my dad’s funeral (and prior to that, my grandfather’s funeral), so I could be mis-remembering, of course.

as @jan_ciger seems to have pointed out, doling out wine during communion seems to have been added (or expanded) after Vatican II. So presumably its the smaller churches (where its more practical) and more liberal/Vatican II friendly churches we’ve encountered that do that. Though I don’t know if funerals would really be indicative. I’ve only ever been to one Catholic Funeral where it wasn’t done. And it was with a very large, very weird, congregation highly associated with a couple of rabidly conservative papal societies. Even the funeral mass I’ve been to at St Patrick’s in NYC (which is huge) did wine and bread. High Latin mass too, really pretty.

2 Likes

Wine and bread are never given out during a Catholic mass. It is only after they become the blood and body of Jesus that they are distributed.

2 Likes

Its been a while, but I thought transubstantiation happened as you swallowed it? Again I was raised Episcopalian. So were were basically given a list of different theological positions on the subject and told: “pick one, or not, have you seen this cool book of Hindu Scripture I brought?”.

1 Like

We had a nun that crashed a car with a BA of 0.16. She claims she had a reaction from Ambien and altar wine. So obviously not just priests.

Ambien and altar wine-----There has to be a street name for that !

2 Likes

Nun Hammer? Zolpidem Blood?

6 Likes

When I was growing up, a lot of people simply didn’t drink the wine. You’d go up, get your wafer, then walk past the wine person and sit back down. It was accepted that there were plenty of reasons why people might opt out of sharing a cup of alcoholic, increasingly-backwashy, liquid with a few dozen (or more) other people. I’d always skip the wine if I were feeling sick, as a courtesy to everyone else in the parish.

5 Likes