President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: stop saying "Mormon" or "LDS Church"

Finally, I’ve been waiting 60 years for someone to tell me that Satan has won.

6 Likes

Technically shorter names are appropriate per their newly released style guide- but the preferred shortened names include “Jesus Christ”, unlike the “banned names”.

1 Like

Does it say “Welcome Home” over the door?

2 Likes

When a church starts trying to control how others refer to it, that’s a clear sign that the church has its eyes on the right priorities.

13 Likes

What a mouthful.

4 Likes

Splitters!

13 Likes

As in, “Oh, Jesus Christ! Its the friggin’ Mormons! Quickly, everyone, pretend we’re not home!”

2 Likes

Yup.

10 Likes

Someone else needs to trademark that name now.

Maybe the local gay men’s choir.

12 Likes

It’s hard enough for the youngsters in short-sleeve shirts and clip-on ties they send out to preach across the globe already, now you go and take away “mormon”-- the name everybody already knows, and LDS, the easy abbreviation? Is shooting yourself in the foot a sacrament in Joseph Smiths funky new gospels?

6 Likes

They’re still The Army of The Church of Jesus Christ ᵒᶠ ᴸᵃᵗᵗᵉʳ ᴰᵃʸ ˢᵃᶦⁿᵗˢ

4 Likes

Couldn’t they have consulted the guy who came up with the idea of distributing their Holy Book outside the musical “The Book of Mormon”. “You’ve seen the play, now read the book” is a brilliant slogan.

4 Likes

It appears that they are trying to distance themselves from all of the nebulous bad press connected to “Mormons” and “LDS”, (Prop 8, the BOM musical, South Park, etc), even as they double down on the fundamentalism with statements like
“Gender is eternal”.

10 Likes

Does this mean that the name Mormon Jesus can’t be used to differentiate from all the mainstream ones?

Jesus Christ of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is kind of a mouthful, even if you skip the recursion.

4 Likes

I think Mormon and Scientology should combine, they can call it Mormontology and Moroni will be revealed to have really been Xenu. They are about as equally founded in legitimacy and hey, I think Tom Cruise would love the magic underpants.

8 Likes

Scientology is busy merging with the Nation of Islam. Trying to merge with the Mormons at the same time would be quite a show.

2 Likes

Saw the Book of Mormon last month - it was pretty good but IMO did not skewer TCoJCoL-dS (is that really preferable to LDS?) as this single episode of SP:

1 Like

This idea that using the wrong term for the church is a horrible sin is just weird, considering that the phrase is in English and Christ never spoke English-- even if he appeared to the Native Americans (excuse me, Nephites and Lamanites) he would have been speaking . . . I dunno, old Hebrew, or Hopi or something. Does Jesus get offended when people confuse “your” with “you’re”? The ship has already sailed on improper usage of “beg the question”, unless Jesus comes back and sets us all straight. As far as I know about the church mythology Joseph Smith translated his mysterious golden plates to English from whatever language they were (supposedly) in. So who exactly is getting offended with “LDS”, Jesus or the ghost of Joseph Smith?

14 Likes

Wait, what?!? :astonished:

4 Likes

In a thousand years, that whole “latter day saints” thing is going to feel a bit dated.

2 Likes