President Trump falsely claims 3000 death toll in Puerto Rico is a lie

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/13/president-trump-falsely-claims.html

5 Likes

tumblr_pey17hLbEP1tiqslu_500

36 Likes

22 Likes

The exact same kind of willful ignorance to long term and knock-on effects displayed in the FEMA excusing the diversion of funds to ICE (those funds weren’t specifically for North Carolina, so…). And allowing corporations to ignore externalities, and ignoring the real “cure is worse than the disease” effects of zero tolerance policing and impunity for police, and systemic racism, etc, etc…

16 Likes

To put it in perspective, about 3k people died on 9/11

8 Likes

And?

A more shocking headline would be one that claims Trump is telling the truth about anything.

9 Likes

Fake news!

It wasn’t 3,000. It was 2,975, plus a few dozen missing.

Also, Hurricane Maria didn’t even have the right to be in the country. Probably Mexican.

6 Likes

21 Likes

It’s almost as if Trump is really, really dumb.

I listened to the CBC interview with Bob Woodward yesterday and one of the many worrying things that stood out to me was the anecdote about advisors trying to educate Mr Trump on trade deficits and what they mean. And how he just couldn’t understand and comprehend the relatively simple economic facts about what trade deficits actually mean. He thinks that the trade deficit with China means that the US just send money to china without getting anything in return. And even though the US has a trade surplus with Canada, he just doesn’t believe the numbers because he “knows” something different.

He’s just one of those ignorant old men who prop up hotel or golf club bars and pontificate with wrongly-remembered and false factoids they heard from other old men in the 1970s and 80s. Sad!

20 Likes

Odd how Republicans are happy to attribute millions and millions of deaths to Mao and Stalin even when those deaths were the result of long-term resource mismanagement (leading to mass starvation).

10 Likes

Omarosa Manigault Newman observed first-hand how Trump and Chief of Staff John Kelly deliberately slowed aid to Puerto Rico, despite the pleas of Homeland Security Adviser Tom Bossert. She published this in her book.

Trump, out of malice or criminal neglect, helped kill as many Americans as Osama did on 9/11. And here he is denying his cruel incompetence and creating a ridiculous Democratic conspiracy. Both of which are prima facie evidence of his unfitness for the position.

How will the Democrats react to this?

15 Likes

If Trump said the sky was blue I think I’d go have my eyes checked…

6 Likes

we all know Trump would never lie about numbers of people right?

18 Likes

Well we just have to add trump’s treatment of Puerto Rico to the Crimes Against Humanity charges we are logging up for him. Public obfuscation of the real death toll will reinforce the obvious conspiracy to harm Puerto Rico. Nice of him to package the evidence so tidy for us. He grossly overestimates his ability to change reality, just as he overestimates all of his “skills”.

5 Likes

Well… I guess… to be fair… there were 3000+ people who did not die.

Unfortunately, there were about 3000 who DID die…

At this point, this is how I feel whenever Dolt 45 lets something else that’s incredibly stupid or an obvious lie (or both) fall out of his mouth:

Heaven help us; he has got to fuckin’ GO.

8 Likes

Well beyond dumb, I would say aggressively ignorant.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, Paul Ryan thinks the numbers are accurate, he just doesn’t give a shit.

Which quite possibly makes him even more of a soulless ghoul than :peach::hole:.

6 Likes

Jesus Christ, someone else provided a longer quote that makes me wonder if Ryan is actually just a fucking lich.

2 Likes

If Trump was a lesser idiot he would have taken this tactic too. He could have tried to frame it as an unavoidable natural disaster which his Administration’s actions helped from turning even worse (also a lie, but less insensitive to the thousands of Americans grieving dead family members).

2 Likes