Presidential candidate Ted Cruz's burning flag Al Jazeera logo

It spells “Allah!”

3 Likes

I thought he was ripping off part of the Presbyterian Church logo. It struck me as an odd choice considering they’re now on the opposite side from him on the issue of same-sex marriage.

2 Likes

While his candidacy may be welcome news for those who believe in the Democratic party, it’s bad news for those who want the Democrats to produce better policy. The blue team can continue to focus on the red team, sure in the knowledge that for actual progressives, they’re the only game in town. Ugh.

10 Likes

I suppose he could be worse than Harper, but it’s kind of a toss-up.

1 Like

And here’s the logo used by France’s extreme right party:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/fr/0/0e/Logo_FN.svg

It seems some political opinions share a fascination for fire. They sure burned stuff and people in the past…

4 Likes

I LOVE the fact that someone else owns TedCruz.com (and is using it for counter-campaigning messages)

1 Like

“Natural-born citizen” does not mean that you have to be born in the United States. The founding fathers originally defined it to mean, essentially, anyone who is born an American- wherever they happen to be born. If you think about it, this makes perfect sense. Just because your parents were on vacation in France, or because your mother was the American Ambassador in India, it doesn’t breed in you the loyalty, sympathy, or nationality of where you were born.

It’s different with the Governator, he was born an Austrian. I’d argue that shouldn’t absolutely preclude him from the post- after all, he still has to be elected by Americans, but that would require a constitutional amendment.

I dunno - I kinda like it as a logo. To compare it to Al Jazeera is really reaching, IMHO.

Fire can mean a lot of things:

• a light of hope
  • a guiding light
  • a way to raze the bad and rebuild
  • the Holy Spirit
  • life giving warmth
  • keeping the wolves away
  • a memorial flame
  • warning or rescue fire
  • crack pipes
8 Likes

I read an interview with the designer of his new logo… apparently it’s supposed to represent the tears of our founding fathers, upon hearing Ted Cruz’s presidential campaign announcement.

4 Likes

I still think Boris Johnson should run.

He hasn’t given up his US citizenship yet, AFAIK.

7 Likes

You have won the internets for the remainder of the day :smiley:

3 Likes

What is it with the GOP’s love~affair with low functioning special ed~types?
Palin - Walker - Cruz - Perry - Bachmann - Santorum - Gowdy, and the list goes on…

2 Likes

Just heard Chomsky describe the U.S. political problem well (in a Lannan Foundation podcast) – There’s only one viable party, the Business Party, and it has two factions: Republicans and Democrats.

6 Likes

I presume the flag thing is so entrenched by now that you couldn’t have a flagless logo.

1 Like

Sigh. Images can appear to be so many things.

3 Likes

The Birther Thing included three main issues

• Hatred of Obama, and giving the haters an excuse to pretend he’s Not The President and the candidates a way to invite racism into the process while pretending it’s not about that.
  • Arguments about the facts - was Obama born in Hawaii, or somewhere else, and was McCain really born on the military base or in the Canal Zone or nearby parts of Panama.
  • Arguments about the law - what does the ill-defined term “natural born citizen” mean, and how can we use it to exclude Obama?

The right-wingers who are now supporting Cruz don’t mind that he wasn’t born in the US, but many of them rabidly cared about that when Obama was running. They should be held to the same standards now that they were then.

(However, I’d really like Cruz to be the nominee. I’m a Libertarian, and think that having Republicans in power is even more dangerous than having Democrats in power, so I’d like them to nominate somebody who doesn’t have a chance of winning, especially if he can be thrown off the ballot later.)

1 Like

Do I behold the star-spangled truck-nutz of Real America?

10 Likes

I’m actually worried, because the very first thing I thought was “Holy Spirit.” Not just the Presbys, I’m pretty sure the Methodists use a similar flame-shape. But Cruz is a Dominionist who really believes his kind of Christians are destined to rule the country, and to hell with the Bill of Rights. Tucking the flag inside the Holy Spirit flame is the perfect expression of a theology that leads straight to The Handmaid’s Tale.

9 Likes

Must. Gouge. Out. Mind’s. Eye.

4 Likes

Ted did say “the world is on fire”. It looks like it will be the meme of his campaign. It will also prove to be a self fulfilling prophecy when said campaign burns and crashes before the election.