Price of Marmite, tasty British slime, at heart of latest Brexit imbroglio

Vegemite > Marmite.

8 Likes

Threads have spontaneously combusted from comments like that.

12 Likes

It looked okay to me. Maybe a little thicker than I’d have it, but OK on a doorstep.
Oh and with regard to the domestic product thing, the problem is that we still need diesel to get the stuff to the shops, and the oil price is set in dollars, which have for some reason (surely nothing to do with brexit) become rather expensive of late.

2 Likes

Don’t they appear when you open the Lament Configuration?

2 Likes

Yeah, I pretty comprehensively missed the sarcasm there, my bad.

1 Like

Ah, you’re thinking of the Cenovis-flavored crisps, Cenobites. Fiendishly addictive.

2 Likes

You got the less than symbol backwards! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
(okay, okay, i do love both, and nautrally have jars of both around, but i find marmite to taste a bit better to my pallet, at least as a spread, or by the spoon.)

No, but now I’m on a quest to find some. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bow to you, sir. Whenever I’ve licked pure Marmite from my knife, it gives my tongue a jolt almost as much as a 9V battery. It’s an addictive jolt, though. I suspect this tingling comes as much from the concentration of glutamates as the salt. I enjoy the tingle of bold, salty salmiak but even that doesn’t have the same voltage as Marmite.

ETA: My favorite salmiak is Nordic Sweets Salty Licorice Fish. Made in Sweden. Addictive as they are strong. If you like salmiak, I recommend buying by the pound/half-kilo.

8 Likes

“Great gobs of savory glutinates” - noooo, not my thing.

1 Like

All on its own it’s a bit much. But writing it off entirely is like saying you don’t like flavor.

Though I did have an acquaintance who refused to eat anything browned. Claiming that that meant it was over done. Browning is a big source of umami. Her favorite thing was white rice. But over cooked, And unsalted. Blargh.

3 Likes

Anyone who doubts the enhancing power of glutamate needs to try broccoli stir-fried with thinned Vegemite. Holy wow, is that delicious.

9 Likes

Sounds good, but I’d leave the Vegemite thickened. And swap the broccoli for some toast.

7 Likes

Carry on, then. You heathen.

4 Likes

For those of us in less crazy parts of the world (or at least in the US, where we haven’t yet had the election that would totally trash our currency if the wrong lizard wins), doesn’t the drop in the pound mean that Marmite should get cheaper for us sometime soon? Sure, we’ll be eating some of it that would have been your breakfast, but realistically US demand for it isn’t going to make a big dent in the supply even if the pound drops the price another 50%. It’s been ridiculously priced the last few times I’ve seen it.

XO was wonderful. A little less tang—more round and greater depth of flavor than regular.

I miss it, too.

1 Like

I think I’ll stick with miso. I can eat a good miso paste by the spoonful.

1 Like

My 2 lb can of accent agrees with you.

Not necessarily. I don’t think they have formal distribution here. At least not till recently at least. So most of the various -ites making it into the US are brought in by small scale importers. That comes at a premium. And it also means that they’re bought wholesale at UK prices, then shipped to the US for resale at an increased whole sale then sold at retail. So sans national distribution or production here the price will remain tied to the UK price in a more direct way than just currency. It should hurt less on our end though.

It’s saying I don’t like that particular flavor. Why would presume I wouldn’t like “flavor” because I don’t find that particular “flavor” appealing?

Simply because umami is so universal that its a weird flavor to dislike?

Or did you just mean the flavor of marmite? Its use here doesn’t taste like marmite. You’re talking about a teaspoon or less in a 6 quart pot of stew. It just brings the savory sort of flavor one associates with browned foods, carmelization, mushrooms, good dashi, nice cheese, pickles and a thousand other things.

If marmite geeks you out you can just go with soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, fish sauce, gravy master, nutritional yeast, instant dashi, dried mushrooms, anchovies. Or powdered MSG.

3 Likes

I like Himalayan pink sea salt for my salty likes. For flavor, not necessarily umami - I may just not be equating something here, I dunno - I like herbs and spices, such as tarragon, thyme, rosemary, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, et al. I like caramelizing things, but more on the sweet side.

eyes you suspiciously Do you own stock in the company?

So my tastes aren’t perhaps as sophisticated than the rest of the world’s…oh well. Please, please, please accept me and my hopelessly pedestrian tastes!

Or not.