Prime Minister's Brexit plan defeated by 230 votes

8 Likes

It’s a half litre can, so it is closer to 18 Oz.

But Bulmers don’t make White Lightning anymore, because it was bad PR. I think you can still buy Diamond White and Frosty Jacks, but it isn’t something I have any desire to look for.

3 Likes

True. I mentioned it mostly because it was what I remembered from my days of student debauchery. Mind you we couldn’t run to actual White Lightning, we were more SPAR own brand but it was the same idea.

1 Like

I like the headline, but I note that the one doing the rejecting in the article is Corbyn. Like somehow this is all Labour’s fault.

1 Like

Corbyn is rejecting the possibility of a second referendum though, despite the rest of the party telling him that they want one.

3 Likes

I know. Corbyn is unfortunately a leaver, as far as I can tell. I still found the framing odd. I would have written the article with a fake joint statement from Corbyn and May. But maybe they figured they put May’s picture at the top so they should put Corbyn’s name in it.

1 Like

I’m getting pretty fucking sick of his stance on the Brexit issue. To the point that, if this leads to a leadership contest for Labour as well (which I think it might if he continues this fuckery), he’s not getting my vote. I honestly don’t think he’s electable anyway. McDonnel, maybe. But Corbyn’s become a liability IMO.

5 Likes

I am losing all faith in representative democracy again. I’m having to repeat the phrases “dual power” and “counter power” to remind myself why I should vote.

4 Likes

I am a USAian - and I’d never heard that folk etymology. (I didn’t know what the actual etymology was, and had never been curious enough to investigate, but knew the correct spelling from somewhere.)

In any case, the multilayered pun was too much for an invertebrate[1] punster like me to resist. I just have no backbone when tempted by a pun.

[1] And if you correct me and say that the word is ‘inveterate’, you’re missing the point.

1 Like

“Name something from your past that gives your age.”

Shit that SPAR brand stuff was filth.

2 Likes

Crumpton Oaks is the classy shit cider.

“classy”

LOLZ

Ah, I drank a lot of bad booze back then, who am I to judge?

2 Likes

No, I did get - and very much approve - your spineless punning.

(And I did say a USanian ‘might’ think that. And I learnt something there, too.)

Oh and now look what’s happened:

Don’t worry, there’s not going to be a no-deal Brexit, we’re just calling troops up just in case.

3 Likes

There’s a very good opinion column by Fintan O’Toole in today’s Guardian.

His point is that Brexit is a problem of British democracy not of the EU and represents the death throes of the old system.

This doesn’t mean we should turn to authoritarianism for a solution. I think we need proportional representation and the House of Lords to be turned into some kind of at least partly elected second chamber with genuine power. We probably should write down our constitution too.

8 Likes
4 Likes

I would hope so

1 Like

Don’t worry, I’m not thinking of that. Quite the opposite in fact.

That would be an essential step in my opinion.

4 Likes

14 Likes

barack-obama-true|nullxnull

3 Likes