Prime Minister's Brexit plan defeated by 230 votes

bad

2 Likes
3 Likes

I have BBC world news on in the background, usually muted, but just now I caught a brilliant example of how stupid the brexiteers are. Liam Fox, minister for trade or somesuch, said other countries needed to work harder to replace the 40 odd trade treaties he needs to replace before April.

I mean, how blind are you? They’re all waiting until you crash out so they can renegotiate the treaties on their terms because you’ll be desperate, you fool. I actually nearly yelled that at the screen.

If I was British, I’d despair, as it is I just watch in disbelief.

6 Likes

There’s a reason we call it the “Ministry of all the Talentless”.

That Liam Fox announcement is just another example of the Brexit narrative that it’s everyone else’s fault when things go wrong.

2 Likes

The papers are full of murmurings of another snap election today, FFS…

1 Like

There is just about time to have a general election. The new government would begin work about three weeks before auto-Brexit day.

Its first action would have to be to suspend Article 50. A short extension wouldn’t give enough time to achieve anything.

The only realistic option now is to suspend Article 50 and spend several years working out what Brexit options could be drawn up which would be agreeable to the EU, then start having a series of referenda on them.

There is another option of course, which is to let the UK crash out automatically at the end of March.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.