Prison for Capitol Hill rioter who took riot shield from cops and used it against them

Originally published at: Prison for Capitol Hill rioter who took riot shield from cops and used it against them | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Good, but at the same time, much longer sentences are routinely handed down for non-violent drug offenses. Our system is so broken.

22 Likes

It’s difficult to imagine that there are any on the Right who still insist that J6 was simply a tour.

10 Likes

They were peaceful tourists who peacefully stormed the Capitol and peacefully attempted to overthrow the government by force. /s

9 Likes

Ok, he gets seven years for stealing a cop’s riot shield and using it against him, but what about punishment for sedition?

12 Likes

It’s hard to convict because you need to have intent. If you beat someone, that’s a crime regardless of whether you did it for money or politics.

11 Likes

The attempted coup was chock-full of people posting selfies on social media with captions about how they were on their way to take over the government though. It doesn’t seem like it would be that hard to prove intent.

14 Likes

When prosecutors have a range of possible charges for any individual suspect it’s not unusual to focus on the one that is easiest to prove, especially if it carries a non-trivial penalty.

So I hope they go ahead and keep charging people with sedition wherever they can make it stick but if “beating up a cop” keeps this guy behind bars for the rest of the decade then I’ll take it.

8 Likes

In the case of Patrick McCaughey III, there were exonerating circumstance; he passed the Whiteness Test.

3 Likes

I mean, Tucker Carlson said that not a few weeks ago… It’s not about the facts right in front of our faces, it’s about ideology and crafting the narrative that they want people to believe…

But did they mean to insurrect in their hearts! That’s the only time intent is real! /s

6 Likes

They don’t care. They know it’s a lie, and they’ll keep lying even after they go to prison.

5 Likes

In other news, wow, I had never thought about Thomas Edison and Al Capone as overlapping in history, in my mind their periods have such different aesthetics…

4 Likes

When you’re part of a mob that attacks LEOs, forces its way into a secure government facility, and searches for lawmakers to kidnap, string up, or kill, it’s pretty clear you’re not there for the guided tour.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.