Prison for Proud Boy who shot at cops

Originally published at: Prison for Proud Boy who shot at cops | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Two years?

WTF?

21 Likes

Is shooting at the cops a separate crime because it was at local cops?

No charges for the actual riot on Jan 6th?

He plead to possession of a firearm by a prohibited person - so what did he do to get his rights revoked, was he still on probation?

2 years doesn’t seem like enough with this guy.

“Pelham paced outside, holding a gun and yelling at police. He eventually went back inside and fired the gun several times. For their own safety, police left the property that night, and let Pelham sleep off his drinking.”

Amazing how cops can avoid shooting someone when they just back off and deescalate. Not sure why they only do it with fascists.

22 Likes

If I’m understanding correctly, that’s just for the possession of firearms charge and they’re not even charging him for shooting at cops.

“Pelham paced outside, holding a gun and yelling at police. He eventually went back inside and fired the gun several times. For their own safety, police left the property that night, and let Pelham sleep off his drinking.”

He surrendered at a local police station on April 14.

That’s some white privilege right there. He shot at cops and their response was to leave and let him turn himself in. If he’d been brown (or left-wing), they’d have blown up the fucking house (and possibly other parts of the block) in response.

Yep, it’s a real mystery all right.

19 Likes

I can’t even WTF this kind of thing anymore. He’s a right-wing middle-aged white guy who shares the same views as a lot of cops – including the ones he shot at.

16 Likes

Must have been considered “friendly fire.”

14 Likes

Sometimes I think they only give right-wingers prison sentences at all so they can outrage us with how astonishingly lenient they are. It doesn’t matter if it’s insurrection or shooting at cops or rape, it feels like right-wingers are always given the lightest possible treatment, even among other criminals of the same sex and race. I’m a white male, but I can’t imagine any possible circumstance where shooting at a cop would merely result in a 2 year sentence. Yet add some extremist right-wing ideology and tacticool camo gear or a MAGA cap, and the cops’ll be taking me through the Burger King drive-through before I’m booked alive and well and swiftly put before a judge to be apologetically given a slap on the wrist.

6 Likes

“Aww, Nate’s just feelin’ a bit jumpy. Let’s go get some Burger King and let him cool off a bit. He’s been through a lot lately.”

Maybe they should have brought him a Whopper to help draw him out.

ETA: Ha! @Hanglyman, it’s a pitiful reality that we both had the same thought. I owe you a Whopper!

7 Likes

Golly gosh. A possible 2 years in prison for shooting at cops, and it only took nearly 4 years to put him away.
Assuming he isn’t instantly pardoned when the unthinkable happens again.

Anyone still think these guys don’t have support up and down the line?

5 Likes

The fascist part is irrelevant. It’s the fact that he was white. If he had been anything else they would have riddled the home with bullets.

4 Likes

He was even trying to suicide by cop…

“According to subsequent police reports, Pelham called his wife, told her goodbye, and said that he planned to make the police shoot him,” they wrote.

1 Like

Tell that to Michael Reinoehl’s family.

3 Likes

it’s worse than that. It’s 2 years for a gun violation. There was no charge at all for shooting at the police. Texas.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.