Private Christian college Liberty University to pay $14m fine for refusing to disclose campus crimes for years

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/06/private-christian-college-liberty-university-to-pay-14m-fine-for-refusing-to-disclose-campus-crimes-for-years.html

16 Likes

The fine is by far the largest ever levied under the Clery Act, a law that requires colleges and universities that receive federal funding to collect data on campus crime and notify students of threats.

Given that $14 million is a small percentage of the $3.5 billion in net assets they had at the end of 2022, why not hit them where it really hurts? The Wikipedia page for the Clery Act states that “Compliance is monitored by the United States Department of Education, which can impose civil penalties, up to $67,544[2] per violation, against institutions for each infraction and can suspend institutions from participating in federal student financial aid programs.”

Liberty’s financial disclosure document for 2022 states (page 24)

The University and its students rely on a substantial amount of support from the federal
and state student financial aid assistance programs. If a significant reduction on the level of
federal and state assistance were to occur, such reduction could have a material adverse effect
on the University and its operations. Amounts received and expended by the University under
various federal and state financial aid assistance programs are subject to audit by various
federal and state agencies and therefore subject to adjustment. Non-compliance with federal or
state requirements relating to student assistance programs could result in the University’s loss
of eligibility to participate in those programs

So why not suspend them from those financial aid assistance programs until or unless they show they’ve made a serious effort to clean up their act?

28 Likes

When women are regarded as broodmares, they should expect to be punished for daring accuse a human of mistreating their property. Especially at a Christian Evangelical “University”. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

21 Likes

Lots of rape in their holy book, so it’s right in line with the “values” of this “school”.

7 Likes

Explore gods will GIFs

3 Likes

How much you wanna bet that along with Christian Nationalism the University pushes the old “Government evil! Government always evil!” line?

9 Likes

“The lowest rate of reported crimes of any university! Not just because everyone is too afraid to report them, we also reject crime reports! Students weren’t the victims of crime, they’re actually sinners who got what was coming to them. Also we don’t bother to actually, you know, keep track of any of it. The crime rate could be negative for all we know! We should put that in the next brochure, actually…”

The Aristocrats! Liberty University! The patriarchy!

It still pisses me off how much money my fundamentalist grandmother gave the Falwells. I don’t know the actual amount, but it was enough that they paid to fly her out for a visit or two. She offered to pay for my cousin to go to college, but only if he went to Liberty. Luckily he didn’t even have to consider it, as he got into Stanford, with a scholarship. I don’t know if he tried to explain to her that a degree from Liberty wouldn’t be worth the paper the diploma was printed on.

It’s outrageous that federal money is actually going to this semi-fraudulent “university” under any circumstances, really.

13 Likes

Check This Out GIF

11 Likes

There’s worse: Hillsdale College refuses all government money – including student grants and loans – to avoid having to be honest about anything.

Their educational plan is the blueprint for Christian Nationalists…the one used to eviscerate the New College in Florida, for example.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.