Whistleblowers out Falwell's Liberty University as a grifty, multibillion-dollar personality cult

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/09/french-maid-uniform-denied.html

2 Likes

/crickets

8 Likes

There’s a swamp that needs draining…

7 Likes

Ironically, that was the caption Falwell put on the picture of he wife in the French maid outfit he “accidentally” sent around.

13 Likes

A timely reminder that Senior said that NYC deserved the 9/11 attack, a little over a week after it happened. No one should be surprised to know that Junior is a pustulent hypocritical scumbag, too.

44 Likes

18 Likes

his sources say that Gauger double-dips, selling his private services to the university and other clients while he’s on the clock in his nominal job there

Who would have ever suspected him of gouging?

9 Likes

Plugged into the network.

14 Likes

This at a university that bans co-ed dancing

So they want men to dance with men, and women to dance with women…?

28 Likes

At Liberty, Falwell is “very, very vocal” about his “sex life,” in the words of one Liberty official—a characterization multiple current and former university officials and employees interviewed for this story support. In a car ride about a decade ago with a senior university official who has since left Liberty, “all he wanted to talk about was how he would nail his wife, how she couldn’t handle [his penis size], and stuff of that sort,” this former official recalled. Falwell did not respond to questions about this incident.

Spoilers: the way he’s acting is hinting that he is not that big

20 Likes

Too bad the IRS is being underfunded (I guess because they are part of the “deep state”?) to the point where we have less auditors now that we had in 1953, when the economy was only 1/7 the size it is today (per a ProPublica news story from last year - and if you are wondering about their trustworthiness, they and their writers won 5 Pulitzer prizes in the last nine years).

The Tax Policy Center’s website reports that last year saw nearly a 50% reduction in corporate audits when compared with 2010, and a 64%-72% reduction in the number of personal audits of taxpayers earning from $500,000 on up, depending on which bracket they fall into.

Which is all to say that JF Jr will likely face no consequences for his double dipping.

I really miss the rule of law…

27 Likes

This is another example that fits my tirade about how people who believe they are “good guys” can make the mistake of thinking that what they are doing must also be good. Take this story as a cautionary tale and avoid ever thinking “I wouldn’t do that, because I’m one of the good guys.” Maybe you never would, but not because you’re one of the good guys … but because you know better.

9 Likes

I come from this fundamentalist tradition (long since fled that sea of despair). Even back then I knew that huge sums of money and Christianity don’t mix. Jesus was fairly explicit about this. These are the people that preached the coming of the Antichrist when I was growing up. But it seems to me that they ARE the Antichrist. Not only do they ignore what Jesus taught, they openly embrace the opposite.

33 Likes

What, a religion-based, obvious grift is still a grift now that it’s no longer run by the ostensibly religious?

Don’t forget the racism from the segregationist asshole!

https://www.thenation.com/article/agent-intolerance/

I don’t think that’s even a problem with the current owners of Liberty University, though. I think they actually have enough self-awareness to know it’s not true.

14 Likes

Twenty years on the board of a nonprofit ambulance service in my community with an annual cash flow of about $800K. We run a great shop, so we’ve socked away a good bit of cash while providing above market wages and benefits to our employees.

I can see where temptation lies, so I’m happy that we undergo an annual third party audit, even if it costs us ten grand. So many nonprofits fall victim to self dealing. Today I saw a story that a local little baseball league lost $23K to their volunteer treasurer.

10 Likes

Hollywood could not make the movie “Elmer Gantry” today. The Christian Right would denounce it as liberal propaganda and demand that it be suppressed as offensive to all God-fearing people. Boycotts would be started, bomb threats called into theaters. That’s what we’ve come to.

3 Likes

“Your dick is too big” is code for “I have a headache.”

14 Likes

From Wikipedia:

On publication in 1927, Elmer Gantry created a public furor. The book was banned in Boston and other cities and denounced from pulpits across the United States.[4] One cleric suggested that Lewis should be imprisoned for five years, and there were also threats of physical violence against the author. Evangelist Billy Sunday called Lewis “Satan’s cohort”.[5] Elmer Gantry ranked as the number one fiction bestseller of 1927, according to “Publisher’s Weekly”.

11 Likes

Which is code for “you are a big dick”

8 Likes

The original article also totally skips perhaps Falwell Sr.'s greatest accomplishment: he discovered a Protestant ban on abortion reaching back even farther than the Catholic one that until then Protestants had derided.

This bit of convenient theology coincided perfectly with his transformation of the Protestant Right in the USA back to its roots as a pro-slavery subsidiary of the US political right.

4 Likes