Whistleblowers out Falwell's Liberty University as a grifty, multibillion-dollar personality cult

You beat me to it.

What the hell kind of ‘non-profit’ can go investing in all these for-profit schemes?

Just like the NRA - abolish their NP status and let’s see what happens.

2 Likes

Excerpt from the 1972 documentary exposé about former child evangelist Marjoe Gortner and his adult struggle with hypocrisy and redemption.

That didn’t phase anyone.

7 Likes

Watching that there is only one person to play Gortner for the biopic:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0257/3165/products/dfpa61977.jpeg?v=1497289603

http://4everstatic.com/pictures/850xX/people/actors-and-actresses/matthew-mcconaughey,-smile,-black-and-white-photo-253518.jpg

2 Likes

Totally gonna read that now. How did I never hear of this? sounds hilarious!

Well, DUHburningcrossess2

2 Likes

The Frau Doktorin never had any picture of me dressed in a French maid uniform, and never threatened to post such a non-existent photo on her Faceborg page.

Also, the Falwells’ “personal trainer” is called Crosswhite? This is either an assumed name, or the worst case of Nominal Determinism EVER.

1 Like

Spelling police here…faze, not phase

2 Likes

What? Who could have foreseen that!!! /s

4 Likes

7 Likes

Meanwhile, evangelicals will double-down and declare this a fake-news attack by the liberal lame-stream media on all that is holy in this country. Isn’t that the root of evangelical thinking - crafting reality through an act of imagination?

3 Likes

Falwell Jr. and Crosswhite:

1 Like

Are those still a thing, when it comes to the wealthy? I thought they had been scaled back to the point where they could only effectively go after the “middle-class” and the poor?

As for Falwell’s empire being a cesspit filled with amoral, mammon worshiping creatures from hell, color me shocked. So, so shocked. Look at me. This is me, shocked. What to do, what to do. I guess rely on the government to fix it somehow. I’m sure they will get right on that, once they get tired of doing their own horrible things.

4 Likes

It’s more of a boil that needs lancing and draining, with the puss raining down on the entire “religious community,” Messrs. Swaggart, Dollar, Ankerberg, Bakker, Copeland, Graham, Hagee, Osteen, et al.

5 Likes

It was made into a popular movie with Burt Lancaster in 1960. I presume it still shows up on old movie channels

2 Likes

I liked him in Starcrash

Or more importantly he did not distract me from my oggling of Carolyn Munro

4 Likes

I was going to say “good likeness!”, but damn, that is him!

1 Like

There’s a grand tradition in non-profits of identifying too strongly with one particular person, usually the founder (and in this case family, as sometimes happens as well). After a while everyone involved (including the people charged with oversight) forgets that it’s not a personal fiefdom. See this happen all the time, and I think it’s a natural consequence of the sorts of endeavors that rely on charismatic fundraising. Even if a board is aware that the boss is using it as a vehicle for their own ends, it’s a rare board that will suggest retirement to a successful fundraiser.

Just because you (or your parents) founded something, just because you poured decades of your life into making it succeed, you still do not own it, if it’s a non-profit. A lot of people don’t understand this. Heck too many donors talk about how much they love this person or that and will donate because of the work of that person, not because of the institution they are a part of. It’s a corrosive mentality.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I picked that film/pic because I knew he was in it.

Choice #2 was Billie Jo and the Outlaw, featuring Marjoe and Lynda Carter before she signed any “morality clauses” pertaining to working in TV.

1 Like

?

spare chars

1 Like