Produce Stand Off - A food thread for plant-based eaters

Heh heh. Those are the nurse superheroes during my MIBI / Nuclear Stress Test! I did glow a bit in all the wrong places!

6 Likes

I for one salute all plants because they help create our breathable atmosphere here on our planet, all of 'em! from algae and redwoods to lichen and lettuce.

11 Likes

Cooking with banna peels!

Season 6 GIF by The Roku Channel

9 Likes

Lyrics from Krafty Cheese by The Residents:

You care for plants and we care for you;
You care for plants and we care for you.
Upward to the sun we grow,
Careful plants, be
Careful plants.

6 Likes

I actually always wondered about that, not so much the starch structure, but just the idea that you’d be using some calories to heat up cold food to digest it. I suspect someone will write a weight loss program on eating frozen food (while still frozen) as the new hotsauce.

6 Likes

I like where you’re going…so a popsicle basically cancels itself out? :wink:

8 Likes

Yes, I totally expect to see a buff guy advertising on YouTube about how ice cream is the ultimate health food.

3 Likes

Cracked Magazine was way ahead of us:

6 Likes

I’ve been meaning to post results from my first try at a vegan Thanksgiving for a while. Here’s the plate:

Mashed potatoes were with oat milk and vegan butter instead of dairy. Gravy was mushroom instead of bird-based.
The biggest change was the stuffing/dressing (lower left on plate).
We did a half recipe, and subbed impossible sausage and vegan butter for the meat and dairy. Here’s the full recipe:
4-5 large onions, chopped
4-5 celery stalks, chopped
3/4 C melted butter
1 lb sausage
10-12 slices white bread

Cook vegetables in butter on low until tender. Add sausage and break into small pieces (remove casings if there are any). Brown.
While that cooks, tear the bread into chunks in a big bowl.
Pour the cooked mixture over the bread. Mix well. Pour into a casserole and bake, covered, at 325 F for 1 to 1.5 hrs.

Making it vegan for the first time, the flavor was really good, but it was a little dryer than usual. I think next time I might add a half cup (for a full batch) of veggie stock to the casserole before baking. Other than that, though, success.

11 Likes

Sounds similar to our veganized stuffing/dressing recipe, except:

• yes, some veggie stock, but not too much;
  • sage;
  • toast the bread before tearing into bits.
9 Likes

Oh, speaking of sage, we made another dish for a family gathering. It was roasted delicata squash slices and apple slices atop a bed of greens tossed with sage, dried cranberries and a maple syrup vinaigrette, then sprinkled with toasted walnuts.
It was really pretty with the squash and apple slices arranged on top, but it went too quickly to get a pic.
It was a real hit! Everyone was loving a fresh green salad to offset all the richer T-day fare.

10 Likes

I love delicate squash! We usually roast thin slices that were tossed until coated in olive oil, chilli powder, a bit of paprika, and some salt. The seeds are good too and can be roasted at the same time.
Will have to suggest your recipe to the cook yum!

11 Likes

Hungry Emma Stone GIF

Our salad this year had some similarities: mixed baby greens, mandarin orange segments, pomegranate seeds, homemade pickled red onion rings, a lemony vinaigrette, and maple-syrup-candied pecans. Sage would have been the cherry on top!

8 Likes

Oh yes, the seeds were even better (imo) than pumpkin seeds. I did that technique I read about a while ago where I soaked them in salted water for a few minutes before toasting. They did not make it out of the house.

8 Likes

Oh! Totally must try that this weekend

9 Likes

It makes them toast way more evenly than I’ve experienced before. Soak them 10 minutes, then just pat dry, toss in some oil and salt or other spices, toast and devour.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Haha!
I just watched an episode of Queer Eye and Antony was so excited when the Latina gramma said she adds sour cream to her guac to keep it from turning brown. He said he uses Greek yogurt and gets a lot of flak for adding any kind of dairy.
It has me wondering about non-dairy options for that.
But for our last batch we poured the excess lime juice over top and it stayed fresh looking for a few days in the fridge.

8 Likes

What is this “excess” lime juice to which you refer?

8 Likes

We pack it down flat and then cover the guac itself with cling wrap. Tucked from the middle out. No air gaps or bubbles means no brown. Not as good as fresh, but still tasty if the oxidation can be avoided
I always feel bad using cling wrap tho

11 Likes