Product design for High Rise, 1970s dystopian movie

[Read the post]

4 Likes

The colours in those photos are having a mild soporific effect upon me.

Weird.

5 Likes

I want to shop in that market. Forget having to spend twenty minutes looking for a can of plain diced tomatoes. Not diced tomatoes with chopped onions or diced peppers or reduced sodium or braised rat skulls or “Italian herbs”. I just want plain diced tomatoes, capisce?

Excuse me. I need to lie down for a bit.

20 Likes

This would be my dream job.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen the movie either, but I am glad that they decided to keep the 1970s setting of the book (which I’ve read). Much like “A Clockwork Orange”, High Rise’s dystopia is of a very clear time and space and doesn’t really make sense outside of its context.

4 Likes

Mining the same seam as the excellent Scarfolk, although with the existential futility and abject sense of impending terror more muted of course.

2 Likes

Ditto that. I once counted the varieties of Colgate on the shelves. IIRC, there were over 20. It’s so great to live in a democracy where there are so many choices. (But only on trivial things like toothpaste.)

3 Likes

Not a 70s movie, but coming out March 18th.

6 Likes

You… you can season them yourself? Whoa everybody, we got a maker over here!

7 Likes

I’ve been listening to some radio readings/dramatizations of Ballard’s work that have been playing on BBC radio in the last year and realizing that although they feel relevant (again) now, the '70s context is crucial. So it’s nice to see the retro stylings.

It’s a '70s movie in that it’s set in the 1970s, or rather a sideways version of the 1970s.

1 Like

“Build High For Happiness”

1 Like

I expect a strong influence on this was Johnny Trunk’s book Own Label, which reproduces classic Sainsbury’s packaging designs from the 60s and 70s. It’s a wonderful book that really needs to be on Wink - maybe I’ll look into that (if someone hasn’t beaten me to it).

1 Like

This is why they invented “poor doors” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_door

1 Like

Man, that’s as impressive as Repo Man’s effort.

7 Likes

Okay. I’ve just ordered this book and I’m not even British. Then again, I own a book of East German product labels and I’m not East German either.

But those were just riffing off generic products, which did exist in the US in the 1980s. The Market labels seem to be more like the Sainsbury labels which N_D mentioned – abstract graphics, but still more than just text.

This looks exactly the way I saw it in my head when I first read the book 25+ years ago. Crash (the real Crash, not the shitty Oscar-bait Los Angeles navel-gazing one) didn’t really land for me even though I’m a Cronenberg fan, and other Ballard novels are likely unfilmable.

The Crystal World and The Drowned World might be doable in animation, but they’d be commercially unviable headfucks.

ETA: Tanino Liberatore Crash. Just throwing that out there. It would be perfect.

ETA: Tarkovsky or German could do them if they weren’t both dead. If anyone reading this hasn’t seen Solaris, Stalker, or Hard To Be A God, rectify that shit ASAP.

Ah hell, you beat me to it.

This is the kind of of retro throwback I can get behind

Now I’m trying to remember who wrote the SF book I read a while ago, set in a future where Earth’s population was something like a hundred billion, and everyone lived in segregated high-rise towers… I think that was done in the 70s too.