Profanity Prohibited by Community Guidelines [NSFW]

Just doing my best not to forget-- and not to sweep his presence under the rug

7 Likes

Rest in spaghetti, never forgetti.

In solidarity with the fallen, I have set my avatar to plain white (invisible) and my user card image to:

edit:
That one, that’s from othermichael. I’ll upload one for japthroaig in a moment.

edit 2:

4 Likes

Thank you for your fuckin’ honesty!
http://mashable.com/2017/01/22/swearing-more-honest-study-trump/

11 Likes

That’s a slight exaggeration of the situation. There are possibly places and people where that applies, but in general, no.

“Little bastards” and “wee shites”, on the other hand …

10 Likes

US people get lectured a lot about how saying cunt is really No Big Deal In the United Kingdom.

It’s a pretty horrible (and gender-ized in the “punching down” direction, which is even worse) slur here in the US though.

7 Likes

I would not act on that advice.

Britain certainly seems to be a far swearier place than the States, and there are some people who will use that word fairly freely. I don’t know any of them or work with any of them. I cannot remember the last time I heard it used at all, either in real life or on TV. It is the one word (other than certain racial slurs) that has a good chance of generating a shocked reaction, even among people who are liberal with their “fucks” and their “shits”, and for much the same reason as you give for its execration in the US.

15 Likes

“Fuck an O. It’s easier.”

For a brief period in the '90s, these two expressions became a sort of almost liturgical call-and-response amongst a subset of my friends.

You probably had to be there…

10 Likes

Where I was, it went:

Fuck a B, it’s got more holes

Then

Fuck a Q, it’s got a clit and a handle

Shit, I haven’t thought about that in years.

10 Likes

Is it too late to play now?

Fuck an L, the poor bastard has priapism anyway.
Fuck an I, it’ll make you a better lover.
Fuck a W but check for serifs first.

8 Likes

Growing up, my parents never swore. Ever. And swearing was absolutely forbidden. I got quite a whipping once for saying “damn”. I wasn’t even allowed to say “dang” because it sounded too much like a cuss word. It’s that way to this day; no matter what, nothing stronger than “heck” or “oh jiminy christmas” (my dad’s favorite) is used around the house. They were also teetotalers.

It was a bit of a shock the first time I visited my boyfriend’s family. I walked in the door, was handed a glass of red wine, and his dad yelled “Shit! It’s good to fuckin’ meet you! Holy shit, did you guys have a long drive? Come in the goddamn house and relax.”

19 Likes

The first time I heard “fuck”, my mother spelled it when we were al in the car. This was a mistake, because I was a VERY precocious reader and learned to sound things out reallllllly early. Like, by age 3. So I have no idea why she thought that would work.

I was quietly sounding the word out in my head as she finished whatever her story was, and then I piped up with “Fuck? That’s a funny word, what’s it mean?”

She turned around and screamed at me to never ever say that again and I spent the rest of the ride in tears because I had no idea what I’d done wrong. I thought I was clever. :frowning:

22 Likes

I use the NATO phonetic alphabet out of habit.

When I start spelling fast, nobody can follow me.

6 Likes

A lot of it comes down to class (as in “caste” rather than “being a ‘classy’ person”) and therefore dialect.

I’m from South London originally and the word is used fairly freely there; one might not say it in conversation with one’s grandparents (although again, that boils down to the caste of the grandparents) but it’s been thrown around in every other context I can think of. In the pub, at work, in every combination of genders; as long as you say it smilingly and/or in response to someone playing a joke at your expense, it’s really not considered that offensive. I have definitely heard mothers saying it to their children in the same way that Scots would use “ya wee shite!”

Outside of the poorer parts of South and East London, it’s a different matter. In more prosperous areas, it’s still considered very insulting. Even then, tone is important. It’s almost always possible to say it in jest in an informal context.

8 Likes

My experience was similar. I wasn’t allowed “darn” or things like that because it’s the thought that counts, and god knows that you’re thinking the bad word even if you substitute a euphemism.

Away at college I went to a friend’s house for Thanksgiving- there were not only drinking, they were drinking at 1pm! And telling off-color jokes at dinner! I was like… really? Holidays are allowed to be fun? Who knew?

10 Likes

Holy shit. Thank you for the best six minutes of today!

3 Likes

As it turns out, one of your phrases really is prohibited on this site.

3 Likes

Oooo, been ages since I have had a proper wink job…

4 Likes

At least it wasn’t party pooper

4 Likes

Hearted solely for Fuck Shit Stack even though I’m sure the rest of your thoughts are good too

4 Likes

Is it “tarnation”? It’s “tarnation”, isn’t it? Dadgum it! Do I have to wash my mouth out?

4 Likes