Professional pillow fighting: the newest combat sport

Originally published at: Professional pillow fighting: the newest combat sport | Boing Boing

1 Like

I know I read about this as a sport several decades ago, but I can’t find corroboration on Wikipedia. Instead I found this:

The Guinness World Record for the largest pillow fight was set in July 2015 at a St. Paul Saints baseball game, where 6,261 participated in an event sponsored by local manufacturer My Pillow.[5] The record was later broken in May 2018 at an evangelical Christian concert. 7,861 people participated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota event, which was also sponsored by My Pillow.[6]

My Pillow being, yes, that guy.

6 Likes

I mean, it looks like fun. But ah… the future of sports? This is action? I uh… I want some of those drugs please.

1 Like
2 Likes

My childhood pillow fights are better depicted like this rather than people happily bouncing pillows around in insurance commercials.

Man, those bean pillows nearly gave me a concussion. Not fun.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t they be wearing pyjamas?

11 Likes

Am I the only one who pictured a different uniform for this sport?

6 Likes

6 Likes

When pillow fighting, don’t slip a frozen bag of corn into the bottom while no one is looking, your older Brother may get a broken nose. Life lessons people…

15 Likes

Yes. They should be in skimpy pajamas, most definitely.

Also, the pillows should not be so sturdy; there needs to be feathers flying at some point. I mean, really

12 Likes

That needs to be in the rule book for sure.

4 Likes

https://www.spoon-tamago.com/2021/05/28/japan-national-pillow-fight-contest-posters/

7 Likes

Is there a sword hidden in one of the pillows, now we’re talking pillow fight to the bitter end.

1 Like

When/if they look to expand the events, we used to go head-first into our sleeping bags and play “sand-worm wrestling…”

1 Like

One of the lesser known elements of Kirk-Fu, really.

74Ne

15 Likes

I think if MMA fighters switch to pillow fighting, they’ll likely have more surviving brain cells.

2 Likes
4 Likes

You are describing a scene of a japanese cartoon begging to be made!

anime

2 Likes

“Back in my day we cheered for fighters like Muhammad Ali and Sonny Liston. Today’s snowflake generation has professional pillow fights instead! Get off my lawn!”

3 Likes
1 Like