Professionals fix bad garage floor

Originally published at: Professionals fix bad garage floor | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Those shoes are the real pro tip!

8 Likes

See also: salting sidewalks in the winter.

5 Likes

That garage floor was nowhere near as bad as our floor when we had it re-done. It needed all of that grinding, but also lots of filling just to bring it to level.
The new coating we got is polyaspartic polyurea instead of epoxy.

8 Likes

The real drawback to using the color flakes is that when I drop something small on this floor, it may be lost for days. I learned that the hard way.

14 Likes

While applying pizza toppings, I love the way a broad spectrum of the brain engages just below the conscious level to arrange them evenly using kinesthetics and vision processing. Throwing flakes looks like the same flow state.

5 Likes

Yeah this is pretty much “how to make a 300 square foot pizza”

8 Likes

40 min is a long time to watch about garage floors…
is there a 2min version?

3 Likes

Just run it at 20x speed

6 Likes

There was a 2 minute version but the floor coating failed and that’s why these guys are there fixing it with the 40 minute version.

25 Likes

Just like seed broadcasting, or broadcasting seed, stupid English… ¯_(ツ)_/¯

4 Likes

Prep, prep, prep!!!
Primer, primer, primer!!!

1 Like

Gotta say I was staring at those corners they didn’t grind down the whole time. Oh, sure, he got most of the way in with the hand held grinder, but never all they way to the corner. Probably doesn’t matter, not a wear area, and the rest of the job seemed amazingly neatly done, without any masking whatsoever. But still…

That’s my new band name.

2 Likes

It’s nice to have it done nice.

You know though, apart from where the wheels rested even that crappy paint job had held up. Perhaps it was just a few weeks old and was doomed but I used a similar concrete-paint-with-flakes crap in my garage and it’s holding up fine after a few years.

Not having a 3-ton truck probably helps.

Some inexpensive parking/wheel mats might have also done the trick.

4 Likes

Came here to say precisely this. I don’t understand the ‘flakes’, it must be for purely aesthetic reasons. We have some decorative aggregate concrete strips in the front driveway and when adjusting tire pressure, if I accidentally drop a valve cap, it goes into another dimension. Looking for it is will kill an afternoon. I can’t even use a flashlight, held near-parallel to the ground to cast a shadow, because those smooth little stones all cast their own shadows.

3 Likes

If this happens, try taking another valve cap and placing it on the ground in a known location. Look at it from several angles and distances, and it’ll “prime” your brain to cut through the visual noise and find the other one.

…and no, I’m not just suggesting this to trick you into losing two valve caps!

5 Likes

Ooh, brain hacks, I like it, thanks for the tip!

Haha, yeah, that’s what I was thinking at first. I’ve lost so many caps this way, I feel like I should be looking for the stones in a field of valve caps, haha! Probably not really, but it sure feels that way.

2 Likes

The office I worked in in the Before Times has stain-hiding carpets. That just means visually noisy, so if you drop a screw, nut, jumper, resistor, whatever, it’s just gone. I read this trick online, and it greatly improved my success rate finding dropped components. I hope it works for you!

3 Likes

I assume that is essentially the reason for them, that you won’t notice stains because they are visually harder to differentiate.