Professor "fired after mocking political correctness" story falls apart

At least this is evidence that social media attention-seeking narcissism is not limited to the under-40 generations.

4 Likes

Rectumwald

3 Likes

Don’t feel guilty… it’s the system, not you.

Good luck!!!

12 Likes

Unless, perhaps, you are white, male, middle aged and with a good publication history?

I suspect academia has run into this problem; when something is new and expanding there is lots of opportunity. When it becomes stable, opportunity dries up. In business, when a company becomes IBM or HP or Oracle or Apple, the ambitious people go and start their own companies. But universities have the problem that the perception of their worth tends to be related to how old they are, and how crusted over.

2 Likes

Sounds like me, and no, it’s still not fun.

2 Likes

That’s sad, I’ve had a career with a fair bit of research outside academia, and I enjoyed it. The having to be a manager, not so much.

3 Likes

Ah! That’s the comment I’ve been expecting. Took yall long enough.

1 Like

Sure, I didn’t say it was just a departmental problem. There are lots of pressures on universities and colleges right now. But that doesn’t change the fact that when a department does have an open TT position, it’s probably more likely to go to a white man, most likely from an elite university.

3 Likes

Same. I much prefer life in industry than in academia. I can’t teach worth crap, and I can’t deal with petty bullshit either.

3 Likes

Is that still true in History? It isn’t in STEM; apparently average time from PhD to first TT job is now less for women and underrepresented minorities than the average; see page 10 of this report at the CHE. The full pipeline (time to tenure, and probability if having tenure granted) does still favor white men (see page 11 of the same report).

4 Likes

This bears posting again:

17 Likes

Somebody needs to tell Walter Mitty to keep it in his imagination and off the internet…

4 Likes

These are seven incredibly weaksauce reasons men have issues with consent. The people who think this way think “men do this, women do that, therefore I will do this and you will have to do that”. No no no no no. Every man and every woman are different. Anyone who has observed people at all knows this.

I’m not saying that there aren’t people who buy into that load of crap. There are. The problem is, they aren’t terribly introspective, so good luck reaching them.

Stop, right there.

I shared that article not because I agree with every single word, but because of the relevance with the Han Solo scene.

If you have an issue with it, please take it up with David Wong.

Then I guess a metric fuckton of people have never “observed people”; because there are way too many folks out there who overgeneralize everyone & everything in perpetuity, painting with a broad brush of bias.

Again, not my article, not my agenda.

I’m not trying to “reach” anyone; I’m just here shooting the shit until it’s finally time to go home.

12 Likes

Whoa, I wasn’t necessarily disagreeing with you. I’m saying the people this article talks about are not exactly deep thinkers, and are painting people with a broad brush to avoid introspection. Obviously they exist. A whole lot of them exist. My problem is with them, not you. Sorry for the confusion, I’m not being clear.

5 Likes

No harm, no foul.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can see the textbook title now: “Deplorable Like Me”.

5 Likes

They (Trump voters) scoff at being called “deplorable” because racism, sexism, and homophobia are all virtues to them.

6 Likes

He seems to be upset that women and minorities get hired in any capacity, but I rather suspect he also blames them for the generally reduced number of tenure track positions, too.

7 Likes

Why are you comparing a generally ideologically conservative branch of academia with STEM?