Professor tells student "Australia isn't a country" and gives her a failing grade

I looked up its latest IRS filings. Numbers came from there.

Number for Dartmouth president’s salary came from a quick googling. I chose Dartmouth as a comparison as it is the only Ivy in NH.

As for assuming where you live, for that I apologize. I’ve been bombarded by SNHU adverts for the past year at an unprecedented level. I assumed only that everyone else in New England had been similarly bombarded.

(Links will have to wait, doing voice to text on my phone right now.)

1 Like

Many years ago - well before the internet - I took a college level TV Shakespeare course, you watched a play on PBS, then answered your instructor’s written questions and turned them in. I worked really hard the first few weeks, putting lots of thought into my answers, but couldn’t get above a C- . One week I just wrote a bunch of bullshit about the costumes and Falstaff’s bad attitude, and got an A. From then on I was off to the races. I didn’t learn anything about Shakespeare,but I got a good grade in the class.

3 Likes

When I was there in 2014, the ad budget was announced internally at ~25 million. Revenue then was not 600 million then. It was about 250 million. I imagine in the four years it’s been, with a doubling of revenue, there well could be more than a doubling of the ad budget. My guess is that it’s more like 75 million. But I would not be surprised to find out that it is 100 million or even 125 million.

What do you think of those old buildings?

This wasn’t in Arlington TX, by any chance, was it?

Advertising expenditures - Link to audit forms

Advertising and marketing costs are expensed as incurred and amounted to $118,789,381 and
$93,829,062 for the years ended June 30, 2016 and 2015, respectively.

And, FWIW, I didn’t reference any mills.

Earlier link aged out.

Follow audit link off of here

Um, no, CO is a combustion by-product; the only way you can “burn” it, is to somehow cause it to dissociate back into C and O first ^^’.

Nope. Takoma Park Elementary in Takoma Park, Maryland, just outside of D.C. I don’t believe it’s still standing; they tore down half of it long after I left (keeping just the day care/kindergarten) as it is, and I think the rest was slated for complete replacement.

I’m kind of curious why you thought it might be Arlington, TX ^^’. Similar tale?

Yeah, that’s what I thought too, till I googled it. I knew it formed from incomplete combustion, but like charcoal, similarly formed, it burns. From wiki:

it forms when there is not enough oxygen to produce carbon dioxide (CO2), such as when operating a stove or an internal combustion engine in an enclosed space. In the presence of oxygen, including atmospheric concentrations, carbon monoxide burns with a blue flame, producing carbon dioxide.

Except he was probably a much better choice than anyone else they had available. Quality teachers who can do classroom management are hard to find and retain. We pay them shit. Finding a quality teacher with good classroom management skills who is also qualified to teach a subject and willing to take the terrible pay, lack of support from administration, and emotional costs of teaching… so hard to find.

1 Like

I was taking a continuing-legal-education course that was about writing briefs for an appellate court. A continuing theme from the instructors, who were well-regarded appellate attorneys, was “Write your briefs as if you are writing for a five year old. We are serious.”

Note* This was for state appellate courts. In Texas, our judges are elected.

1 Like

Well, but while judges (and other lawyers) are your primary audience, these are also part of public record, yeah? So, while you can’t avoid legalese, you also have to think about that as well.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. This instruction was for the sake of the judges. They weren’t even considering the public.

1 Like

TP’s not far from where I currently live and, based on what I know about the place, I’m surprised they were that hard-nosed. (I know TP’s now completely within Montgomery Co. so I wonder if they had their own school district, when you were there?)

Arlington, TX (at least when I was growing up) was a “spare-the-rod / it’s-always-better-to-suffer” type of place. I’ve gone on about it before. @IronEdithKidd has it in the rear view mirror, as well. I could’ve easily imagined your experience occurring in Arlington’s schools.

2 Likes

Tis’ true, but my time served was much shorter than yours, thus, less fuckery was experienced.

But, let’s face it, Gyro, kids can end up with crap teachers anywhere in this country. My own son has been cursed with a crap teacher this year.

3 Likes

Okay. Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

Indeed! I had a friend who sent her kid to a pretty expensive private school (help from Grandparents) and he ended up with a crap teacher, who kept ending up in his class.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that, hope it gets better for your son. You’re absolutely right: e.g., there are all kinds of problems with the schools where we live, but we’ve dodged some bad teachers thus far and, in hindsight, I think I’d have been happier as a kid where my own kids go to school.

3 Likes

It’s the professionalism that I admire.