Profiles of people who hate to drink water

I hated drinking plain water as a kid. The taste was just bad and weird. Made me shudder.

After hiking with the scouts I came to enjoy it.

After getting badly dehydrated a few times, water actually tastes nice to me now.

13 Likes

If you are thirsty and the water is clean it will taste sweet.

11 Likes

tenor

john-waters-corruption-time

28 Likes

In my opinion, people drink too much water. Imagine a time traveler from the 1970s looking at all the people walking around carrying canteens. They’d wonder what happened.

I survived the '70s, and I can tell you what happened:

Consumers like me, who prefer (cold, clean, pure) water to anything sparkly or fizzy or sugary or flavored or sweetened finally managed to make it clear to vendors that we would gladly pay for (cold, clean, pure) water in a portable canteen that we can take with us, just like all the fizzy-sweet-flavored beverage drinkers do, rather than hunch over and suck at whatever lukewarm, local-crappy-piping-flavored chewing-gum-and-mucus-decorated public slurping trough we can find.

And frankly, as someone who’s done a bunch of outdoor-event organizing, I can tell you that dehydration and heat exhaustion are far less common with today’s well-watered crowds than was once the case.

But your opinion is noted. :roll_eyes:

16 Likes

Of course. I was thinking mostly about those people you see carrying around the gallon jugs of water believing they must “flush themselves out” every day. It’s not necessary and can even be dangerous when taken to extreme.

9 Likes

The best-tasting water I ever had came from a two-foot-deep muddy hole in the bottom of a desert wadi, after a day and a half of 100º+ temps and no water.

It was exquisite. :slightly_smiling_face:

23 Likes

An expert told me the best way to judge was colour of pee. Pale, and you’re probably ok. The yellower and darker yellow it is, the more certain it is you need a drink of water. Most people have very yellow pee first thing in the morning. Apart from a good breakfast, a large glass of water, first thing, can really set you up for the morning.

15 Likes

I am made out of water. You wouldn’t know it, because I have it bound in. My friends are made out of water, too. All of them. The problem for us is that not only do we have to walk around without being absorbed by the ground but we also have to earn our livings.

– Philip K. Dick, Confessions of a Crap Artist

11 Likes
6 Likes

Something like 80% of Americans never drink straight water. You can’t stand water and you can’t figure out how to buy a coke: evolution is talking directly to you.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Now with added flavor!

3 Likes

Heathen…

8 Likes

The ideal alternative to enduring the degradation of exposure to used water is a nice cryogenic rocket engine.

Liquid oxygen and hydrogen in; stream of absolutely pristine, unsullied, bespoke, water molecules sanitized at ~3,000 degrees and ready for your exclusive use out.

The plumbing is a bit more involved than an ordinary tap; but priorities here.

8 Likes
1 Like

I’ve seen Ben Hur. I think that was Charioting Under The Influence. Seems like every other scene some guy was flying through the air.

5 Likes

yep. Best water I ever tasted was out of a calcite-crusted horse trough hosebib in new mexico after hiking down from 11000 feet to 5000 feet after having run out of water that morning.

Thirst and hunger are by far the greatest spices.

11 Likes

Profiles of people who hate to drink water

So… prospective Darwin Award recipients?

9 Likes

Philmont?

2 Likes

Imagine a time traveler from the 1970s looking at all the people walking around carrying canteens. They’d wonder what happened.

They would also be wondering what happened to all the public water fountains with potable water. It’s the same dynamic as cell phones and public telephones.

The irony is that over hydrating is a significant problem among athletes (rather than not drinking enough water). Related to that - with few exceptions, “sports drinks” aren’t actually necessary for athletes either (plain water is fine). The sports drink industry pushed a myth about athletes and then the general public being dehydrated and lacking electrolytes to sell totally unnecessary drinks to a broader and broader market, creating actual harm to solve an imaginary problem. There are certain benefits to sweetened drinks for athletes, but they’re diminished by actually drinking them - turns out that ideally you take a mouthful of the drink and then spit it out for best performance.

(Really, the only area where people are regularly getting dehydrated is the elderly, who can become somewhat disconnected from thirst/hunger signals and often avoid drinking anything because of various urinary issues making them want to avoid having a full bladder.)

12 Likes