Profiles of people who hate to drink water

Yep. Trail peak.

2 Likes

I can relate. Mine came from an almost-evaporated pool on a ledge on the Tonto Plateau overlooking the Colorado through the Grand Canyon. When the temp got above 99F we stopped for the afternoon until it cooled off. The pool was about an inch deep and had tadpoles, but when you need water what can you do. I guess the frog eggs had washed down from far above since that was not a good place to be an amphibian. Those little froggies were in for a rude surprise eventually.

4 Likes

You could fill a (real) canteen with tap water just fine in the 70s.

Modern day’s ‘source water’ or ‘mineral water’ is a bane on the earth. It consumes tons of needless fuel for transporting water around while we have pipes doing just that all over the country. To fill one liter bottle, multiple liters of water are used to rinse and produce the bottles, while freshwater is currenlty a rather scarce resource (on a world scale).

And in the end you are left with a ton of plastic waste from all those stupid bottles.

I wish people like you hadn’t enlightened the vendors, the world would be a better place without it.

I work as a volunteer cleaning the parks in my city and there are a bazillion of those stupid things everywhere.

People, take your own bottle and fill it with tap water. It might be even better for you, because the plastic can leach into the water. Plastic water bottles may be bad.

Of course you can sort of disregard everything I wrote if you live in a place without safe tap water. But a huge part of the world has fine tap water and in those places the plastic bottles need to disappear pronto!

p.s. Apologies to glenbank, I didn’t really mean to rant to you perosnally, I just hate those stupid bottles so much.

16 Likes

“Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.”
– W. C. Fields

11 Likes

18 Likes

I was baffled by my wife- she would say “darn, I have no beverage to drink with dinner” and I would say “how about a glass of water?” and she would claim that that is not a “real” beverage. She’s never said anything about not liking the taste, but she requires something flavored to consider it an acceptable beverage. Never encountered anyone with this attitude until her. Then again, she doesn’t consider a sandwich to be an acceptable meal, either, which continually baffles me.

Other people can be so strange sometimes. :wink:

9 Likes

this is also a bit of a myth, there’s very little evidence for it, and you’d have to drink silly amounts of caffeine for it to be an issue.

4 Likes

Also, the diuretic effect is quickly adapted for by the body.

2 Likes

I’ve got one of those cans of dehydrated water. They came a a bonus in institutional food deliveries in the 90s. Maybe other times too but that’s when I got mine.

3 Likes

I’m not going to say I ended up seeking medical attention for dehydration (well, I did once, but that was because I had a virus that made it so I couldn’t keep fluid down), but this is me.

I don’t like water. I drink plenty of coffee, tea, and other beverages, but I… don’t like water. I sort of force myself to drink it and I’ve been trying to get used to it. I wasn’t always this way, either. I used to down tons of the stuff. Then something changed and I stopped liking it. I think that something had a lot to do with geography. People mention taste and I think that’s part of it. I find I drink water more if it’s ice cold (meaning I can’t taste it) or in certain places. I think it’s also just the fact that people have access to lots of avenues for hydration. Contrary to things even some doctors will tell you, unless it’s alcoholic, basically any beverage is hydrating. Caffeine is not going to drain you. Especially when you take into account the fluid we get from food. If we didn’t have so many alternatives to tap water, we’d probably just get used to tap water. Well… most of us.

6 Likes

If you’ve got an eating disorder, you have my sympathy. Afraid to drink water? Get off my lawn before I get the garden hose!

4 Likes

Likewise for beer. They do increase the likelihood that you’ll want to go to the bathroom but if given the chance between not drinking any water and drinking beer, tea or coffee you’d be better off drinking any of those and your body will definitely make use of the water in them. Not a substitute for better hydrating sources of course.

3 Likes

Hose water, the best!

Sorry hose “wooder”, I’m from Philly

2 Likes

I dislike plain water as an all-day sipping beverage, so I generally whip up a very weak tea with one or two teabags per pitcher and the lightest hint of sugar.

4 Likes

I live in a place that has arsenic in the tap water. (Many places do, if their watershed, rivers, or aquifers happen to have have arsenite minerals)

Not enough to violate the (rather frighteningly lenient) federal drinking-water standards, of course.
But waaaaaay, way over the Public Health authorities’ recommended safe limits for arsenic. Like, several orders of magnitude over.

And Brita filters and the like are no help. They’ll make your water taste better, but they don’t touch the arsenic.

And my plastic canteens all come home with me, go into the recycling bins, and are collected by the scavengers for the California Redemption Value, whereupon they’re recycled into lawn furniture and shade cloth and flowerbed edging and storage sheds.

What you have there is a littering problem, not a water-bottle problem.

2 Likes

For simple hydration, I drink water, but to accompany a meal I often prefer a beverage with some flavor. I like something to cleanse the palate.

4 Likes

Same here. As a child i hated drinking plain water. (I was fine if it was mixed up with a bit of orange squash or something though).

Years later on holiday i realised it was just because i lived in an area with very hard water, actually quite liked the water in an area with softer water.

5 Likes

That dehydrated water doesn’t even make sense! You pour it into water! You have to start with water!

Edited to add: When I was about 18, my friends and I were very tepid thrillseekers. We decided to “get drunk” on water one night. Every 15 minutes (I think) we would drink two big glasses of water. I think we ended up drinking a gallon and a half each, in about an hour and a half. I don’t know. We were definitely tipsy.

I now know that this was very dangerous. At the time, I just felt heavy and slow and a little silly. My face felt really heavy.

I peed every 15 minutes for hours and hours.

All in all: really stupid.

2 Likes

I think that’s right under normal conditions, but there are other cases. If you are doing endurance sports like biking, running, etc, by the time you feel thirsty, you are probably well on your way to being dehydrated. Your body is using up fluids quickly, and you don’t always feel (or notice the feeling?) of being thirsty until it is very late, and you are running the risk of bonking. You need to anticipate this and drink/eat before you feel thirsty/hungry.

7 Likes

Hiking at altitude is very treacherous that way.

Hiking around above 6500’ in the scouts we basically were forcefed water till it was a habit to always be sipping on our camelbaks and peeing every hour or two. You lose a lot of water just breathing in thin air.

11 Likes