Protect your pets from predators with very punk body armor

Thankfully there is one brave man working on the scourge of eagle attacks.

For all the police violence videos I have seen, not one has involved a punk wearing spikey clothes. Just sayin. Some pigeon spikes couldn’t hurt.

It needs a thagomizer attachment for the tail.

11 Likes

It would be my hunch that small dogs are at substantially higher risk from attack by cougars, coyotes or other dogs than they are from eagles (this product is called “CoyoteVest” and not “EagleVest” after all) but it would be interesting to see if someone has run down the numbers.

3 Likes

There’s a substantial Coyote population throughout Vancouver and the Lower Mainland. My dog (33kg Shepherd Collie mix) and I used to chase them through our neighborhood near Vancouver General Hospital at night when I lived in that part of town. A lady walking her Standard Poodle and Miniature Poodle, both on leash near a local urban park, had a Coyote walk between 2 houses, cross the street and rip the small dog free of its collar and make off with it. This was at around 9:00AM on a sunny Spring day about 18 years ago.

2 Likes

A coyote attacked one of the regulars at our local dog park in San Francisco some months back. Luckily my family’s current dog is of the “bred to kill any wolves that approach the flock” variety so she’s not at much risk.

4 Likes

Based on the stats I’ve started carrying around Hippo Spray instead of Bear Spray

2 Likes

A couple of weeks ago a young male bear walked down the waterfront railway tracks in downtown Vancouver. Animal Control finally tranked him and transported him to a forest about 50 miles away.

2 Likes

I wonder if the tracks will even support the hippos when they arrive…

Maybe it thought it could make off with one of its ears?

1 Like

One of my Dad’s friends had an owl grab his bald head. Maybe they have a ear thing

1 Like

2 Likes

Scary ! I remember a few years ago a mountain lion strolling around inside the Empress Hotel in Victoria! I grew up in Nelson B.C., don’t live there anymore but watch the FB page. Almost everyday a bear sighting or two in the city. There was a guy chased by a cougar on a trail that kind of got everybody interested, so people were watching their security cams… One family had a cam set up on the back lane; within two hour period a cougar, then a bear went by. Yesterday someone driving home past a school noted a black bear nosing about and finally climbing a tree. He goes on the FB page, says “should I tell someone about this?”; chorus of “it was the bear’s home first” and “I’ve lived here fifteen years and haven’t been eaten yet…” and similar statements, including “they’ll get it in the trap and then kill it later.” (I knew the son of the guy that did that work when I lived there…no they don’t, it’s too hard and dangerous to trap a bear to just ‘kill it later’ ) Anyway, the point I’m trying to make is people are getting too complacent about large predators mixing with human communities. Dogs that need body armor are not the answer :slight_smile:

There is a solution.

Worried about being eaten? Stay on your side of the fence.

2 Likes

There were serious police riots in LA, especially all through the 1980s… in East Germany the police and Stasi would beat the shit out of punks on a regular basis.

3 Likes

Wow, that website is a little hyper (text) for me, prefer a more linear presentation… the experience in B.C. is probably a lot more than “half/half” in the animal’s favour. Five million people in an area four times the size of Great Britain :slight_smile: . Worried about being eaten? Not particularly, but I don’t take a complacent attitude with me when I go out. People in positions of responsibility who don’t worry about bears up trees in schoolyards I think are making a mistake. (by the way the bearsafe people in the community monitor the FB page and responded)

I prefer the classics

7 Likes

When I lived in San Diego, I knew a little doggo who’d been snatched back from the jaws of death.
His human was this very fit and luckily, attentive at that moment, young woman.
IIRC, the puppers had gotten outside or on top of the retaining wall that ran along the back of the girl’s apartment complex, and a coyote up and chomped the dog and ran off with it.
But the lady was looking and, completely unlike most people I’d bet, just didn’t need any processing time to believe her eyes, so she was up and over that wall and running down the coyote in a flash. And caught up and saved it.
Doggo could never abide by any sort of reaching down to pet it from above, such was its residual trauma from the attack.

In other comments, this design seems based on the Magpie Helmets that bike riders make for themselves in parts of Australia where the birds are fierce.

3 Likes

Liking this for the historical reference, not because I like cops beating punks, though I might be tempted to Like a pic of a punk beating a cop…

2 Likes

As a kid I had a book with a great illustration of a Roc with an elephant in each claw. Probably believed it was real for an embarrassingly long time.

4 Likes