Public cemeteries as a precondition for the sale of land

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/10/public-cemeteries-as-a-precond.html

3 Likes
2 Likes

Graveyards relocated ancestors to the public domain, making it possible for Gold Coasters to sell their property to interested buyers.

True. Bodies buried in the basement is the reason I don’t sell my house.

7 Likes

In other words, the British had…

caitlin-doughty-schemes

But this is an excellent article on how colonialism warp all aspects of life for the colonized, via the construction of legal systems meant to produce modern political subjects in the colonies.

It’s also a good reminder of how important funerary practices are to individual societies, and how they don’t look the same over time and space. Funeral practices, in other words, have a history.

8 Likes

Arsenic and Old Lace, 1944: in this adaptation of the long-running Broadway play, newly married Mortimer Brewster (Cary Grant) returns to the family home where he was raised to learn that his aunts may have unwittingly harmed the property value.

8 Likes

Cemeteries are the biggest wastes of public space, and thanks to the modern funeral industry they are also filled with sealed containers of formaldehyde.

4 Likes

I nominate Golf Courses for that particular title.

8 Likes

And Churches.

1 Like

Churches don’t take up an inordinate amount of land or require obscene amounts of water to maintain, so they don’t waste any more public space than any other other entertainment venue.

3 Likes

It’s funny that I was saying to my wife recently that developers must have done studies regarding the locked-up property values of cemeteries, with the implication that they would love to get their hands on these valuable properties

Never underestimate parking lots.

I am sorry. Pet peave. Misplaced rant.

Could you desert dwelling people please get it through your heads that you live in a desert and don’t have to put grass on everything? Goddamn it, there isn’t anything about a graveyard that requires you to put grass out there when the local environment doesn’t support grass.

OK, you see all those nice lawns and golf courses and graveyards out east? Yeah, that’s pretty much what happens normally. We don’t water them, at least not much. Most of the water that lawns need out east falls directly on the lawn from the sky. Sometimes we do water them to get them through the dry month, if we’re stupid and have planted non-native grasses.

Guess what: my lawn? Yeah, it’s organic, it’s native, it’s pesticide free, and it doesn’t get watered. It literally gets cut, that’s about it. OK? So when people from the DESERT yell about WATER USAGE I couldn’t give two rat’s arses about it because that doesn’t really apply to me. Stop trying to make the desert what it isn’t and accept that the desert is a magical, wonderful place that should be celebrated instead of trying to pretend that you live in some kind of mythical always-summer Kentucky.

YOU LIVE IN A DESERT. I DO NOT. YOU NEED TO CONSERVE WATER. I DO NOT.

4 Likes

In British English, a “scheme” carries fewer implications of dishonesty than it does in American English.

Would you like to buy an insurance scheme?

yes… I’m not british.

1 Like

The end result of having plenty of rain hit those golf courses.

https://www.umces.edu/sites/default/files/styles/4_3___large/public/High%20and%20Low%20maps.jpg?itok=d1HI-yJb

3 Likes

Yep.

There haven’t been jellyfish in the dead zones, seen in red, for several years now. Dead zones are affecting the food chain from crabs, mussels, clams and oysters to fish, sharks and rays. Because, you know, rich people’s “sport”.

(and farming)

3 Likes

true. A lot of is runoff from chicken farms-- particularly on the Delmarva peninsula.

1 Like

It depends on the dialect. When I was growing up in Carlisle, 90% of the time scheme meant steal.

3 Likes

I wonder when Americans started to use it in such a negative fashion.

An 1874 book on the Boston water supply used “scheme” throughout.

https://books.google.com/books?id=J8idgY_H4RMC&pg=PA35&dq=scheme&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj92_yg46vmAhUlrVkKHe8OAvA4HhDoATAZegQIFRAC#v=onepage&q=scheme&f=false

“Forget it, Jake, It’s Boston.”

Mini-golf exempted-- there’s just so much fun packed into that little space, very efficient.

1 Like