Real estate listing glosses over cemetery in the backyard

Originally published at: Real estate listing glosses over cemetery in the backyard | Boing Boing

7 Likes

The realtor should have made special mention in the listing about the “quiet neighbours”.

33 Likes

I think there was a lot of perspective distortion in that video tour.

7 Likes

You know, it has the potential to be your “forever home”.

29 Likes

Maybe an excuse to revive old trends? Everything old is new again, right?

25 Likes

Honestly, I’d rather have a cemetery in my “backyard” than be a**-to-a** with the house behind me. And there’s an extremely low chance any development (like a road or freeway) is going to end up in your backyard either. Better sky views and everything. I’m sold.

28 Likes

It’s a pretty grim view - not the headstones, but the lack of greenery. There’s no back yard, the cemetery has nothing but short-trimmed grass, tightly surrounded by houses and some pretty industrial-looking buildings across the way. Total lack of trees and shrubbery, except a few neighbors (that you’re not going to see). Bleak.

12 Likes

Don’t count on it.

Horror 1980s poltergeist GIF - Find on GIFER

20 Likes

Oh my God! We’re on the site of an ancient Caucasian burial ground!

24 Likes

Better than ON a cemetery…

Horror 1980S GIF by filmeditor

@teknocholer -
coca cola coke GIF

16 Likes

Do I owe @SpunkyTWS a Coke, and then you owe me a Coke, or do I owe @SpunkyTWS a Coke and you owe each of us a Coke, or do I just pass on the Coke you owe me to Spunky?

14 Likes

season 8 goodbye GIF by Portlandia

“We’ll take it.”

12 Likes

That’s cool, I would live there.

The Cemetery
In 1793 the area behind the meetinghouse was designated as a cemetery for members of the congregation. This action was prompted by a yellow fever epidemic which struck Philadelphia that year. Over 1000 people are buried in the cemetery including several Brethren leaders, such as Alexander Mack, Sr. (1679-1735), Alexander Mack, Jr. (1712-1803), and his wife Elizabeth Nice (1726-1811), Peter Keyser (1766-1849) and his wife Catherine Clemens (1770-1854), Louis S. Bauman (1875-1950), and Jacob C. Cassel (1849-1919).

https://www.brethren.org/bhla/germantowntours/

When we were kids there was an abandoned cemetery nearby where we would play and later hang out and drink. I just now googled it because I remember hearing it had been restored, it has and there are actually newer plots there. But the sad thing is there is a new cemetery on the same property for fetuses, infants, and toddlers of indigent refugees that ended up in Michigan. Learn something new every day.

13 Likes

Allow me to get some for everyone.

12 Likes

NGL - I think it would be awesome to have a historic cemetery right next door.

I need to take up stone carving in the future… I want an obelisk.

8 Likes

9 Likes

I mean, don’t a lot of folks already have this situation in places like Chicago, Los Angeles, and NYC?

Now I’m wondering if you can see Lemmy’s grave from the telescopes at Griffith Park. :thinking:

8 Likes

Still better than being near a golf course. Very few chances of losing windows to flying balls or overhearing annoying banter.

13 Likes

5 Likes

My current abode is just over the fence from a cemetery. It’s great, as noted the neighbors are quiet and keep to themselves.

15 Likes