Real estate listing glosses over cemetery in the backyard

And @SpunkyTWS… this should cover it…

And I owe @SpunkyTWS yet ANOTHER coke!

Fail Diet Coke GIF by MOODMAN

11 Likes

When we went looking for a house, we started out looking at the cheapest listings first. One of them had a historic (late 1700’s, early 1800’s) cemetery not just nearby, but in the back yard behind the shed. The place also got its water from a well…

We did not buy that house.

9 Likes

Young Lady Peas’ good friend lives next to Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn. I’m jealous every time she mentions it.

7 Likes

Brother Theodore approves:

6 Likes

I took a trip last week for what I was calling a heritage tour, to see where my dad and uncle were born, and to the cemetery where my aunt and uncle were buried (they both died barely months old circa 1920). At the cemetery in Calumet City, Illinois, the attendant said that those child graves are probably still there but undiscoveable. They were probably what’s called ‘term graves’ where the family bought a plot for a length of time, like 10 or 20 years. After that time, if nobody paid more, they would updig the grave, break up the headstone, and bury it all deeper. Then they sold that same plot to someone else who would lie on top. He said they are still there, but it would be near impossible to know where. My family moved back to Europe around that time, so I’m certain nobody was there to pay for another term. Wow. That-Day-I-Learned.

12 Likes

in many parts of Europe, burial plots are leased, not sold.

e.g.

5 Likes

I’ve got more issues with some of the flooring than a cemetery.

7 Likes

Look at all that dirt under the rug! Such symbolism!

6 Likes

I haven’t picniced much, but cemeteries have been my “I need some quiet time” place since I was a teenager. When I really need just an hour or so away from people, cemeteries are great.

10 Likes

In my home town, there was an ice cream shop that was an early adopter of having a bazillion flavors, located near a cemetery. Generations have the childhood memory of getting ice cream and sitting on the cemetery stone wall to eat their cones. If there is life after death, there may be worse ways to spend your time than watching little kids enjoying ice cream.

16 Likes

I guess I’ll take everyone’s word for this since my browser seems unable to play an Instagram video embedded in a tweet embedded in a BB article. :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

Just need someone to post this BB article to TikTok then the circle will be complete! After that, Buzzfeed will pick up the story and the circle will start anew. Blessed be!

18 Likes

Meh. Just keep the proton packs charged, and the traps ready.

8 Likes

Somebody bought the house in 2021 when it looked like this for 145 grand, less then 2 years later it sold as you saw it in the video for 317 grand.

4 Likes

New York Marble Cemetery. Picnics — and weddings — are held there. And adjacent apartment dwellers are offered an excellent view. Note that the deceased are interred in underground vaults and (perhaps more interestingly) the inscribed names along the cemetery’s marbled walls are not those of the interred. “Go, figure!”, says Joe Schmo in apartment 5B.

10 Likes

Came here for the Poltergeist fun…

Fingers crossed…

5 Likes

Yes. And please use a language we could all understand.

15 Likes

Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Toronto was designated as a National Historic Site by Parks Canada in 2000. It has always been a popular spot for strolling and enjoying the sunshine (if any).

https://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/dfhd/page_nhs_eng.aspx?id=1932

There are tours:

There’s a smaller but similar cemetery across the street from our house, and it’s a pleasant place to walk. Our kids first learned to handle a car there before venturing out into traffic. As I reassured them, they weren’t likely to kill anyone.

TIL that walking in a cemetery and contemplating life and death is called “harolding” from the movie Harold and Maude. :grin:

14 Likes

harold and maude GIF by Turner Classic Movies

10 Likes

A definite selling point in my book. Makes me think of “The Halflife Chronicles” series of books by Wm. Mark Simmons. Just make sure you have plenty of salt on hand.

3 Likes