Publix censors graduation cake to remove the cum from "Summa Cum Laude"

I edited out several typos before posting. But that one’s funny enough I’ll just leave it in.

4 Likes

Something something seminal contribution something.

7 Likes

The state university I attended ranks Summa Cum Laude at the top 5% of of a graduating class, Magna Cum Laude at the next 5%, and Cum Laude at the next 10%, with no award given at less than a 3.0 GPA.

So, there at least, it is possible to graduate Summa Cum Laude with less than a perfect 4.0.

Trust me on that. :wink:

Edit: yet I still can’t catch every time Autocorrect decides to repeat a word. So much for that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

the stupid, it burns23286998781_e3b9e4e64d_o

I saw somewhere else (Washington Post, I believe) that the kid was homeschooled. So he can get whatever grade his mom wants for him. And yeah, looking at the mom’s profile who posted this to facebook, she’s a “homeschool mommy”.

1 Like

Well that irks me to no end (and other words the cake maker would have censored). I would have received Cum Laude at your school, because I was definitely in the top fifth at my college, but my GPA ended up one letter grade shy of 3.5 (3.48 or thereabouts).

1 Like

It’s not like they’ve made AP classes worth more ( it looks like they’re worth 5.0, same as they were when I was a high schooler 20+ years ago). This kid just likely had a schedule with mostly AP/IB courses, which brought his average closer to 5. Whatever . It’s a number.

Are you talking about cummunity service?

6 Likes

I learned many years ago that you cannot trust a bakery or a supermarket when it comes to this kind of order. If it is an important occasion, it’s better to buy a plain cake and handle the writing yourself. Those little icing tubes they sell in the store are cheap, and the few minutes it takes to use one will save hours of time and drama that result from trying to fix a messed up order.

1 Like

Yes, and some do it quietly.

I really hope that people decide to buck the trend of censoring cake.

I mean, if you want icing on your cake in a certain way, that’s exactly what you should get. No half measures.

2 Likes

This thread. It has a slightly anti-depressant effect. Maybe not statistically significant, but even if as signify-can’t as Hypericum, it still lightens my mood.
Thanks, @Brainspore.
There will be cake for you if you ever drop by.

5 Likes

Hopefully, you’ll allow other cool people to accumpany him?

:wink:

4 Likes

I’m surprised no one’s posted this.

10 Likes

I’ll definitely include you and @GulliverFoyle, as per public vote:

Bring @Mindysan33, and if anyone got @japhroig’s contact, I’ll throw in a single malt for everyone.

9 Likes

That sounds like a good time, a nice mix of cumaraderie!

8 Likes

I had no idea skeet shooting had a sexual meaning. It’s only a matter of time before Urban Dictionary augers the silence of the English language.

I mean what they hell did they think Summa and Laude were? Crack a dictionary, you ignorant irrumator!

Is it incumbent upon us to bring any tossed salad? (See, I know some innuendo. I’m hip.)

4 Likes

Your wit is incumparable.

5 Likes

The BBS keeps my acumen sharp.

6 Likes

This forum is quite cummendable in that regard.

6 Likes