Publix censors graduation cake to remove the cum from "Summa Cum Laude"

This is just all sorts of wrong. On a four point GPA, Summa Cum Laude (With Highest Praise) is 4.0 and only 4.0. From 3.75 to 3.9 is Manga Cum Laude (With Great Praise) and from 3.5 to 3.74 is Cum Laude (With Praise). If their school is using some wacky non-four point scale who knows what those numbers mean, but in no circumstance I’m aware of would anything other than perfect qualify you for Summa and anything ending is .76 is not perfect.

3 Likes

How cum we end up in such climactic situations?

6 Likes

For $70, they SHOULD have ordered from a local cake maker.

But it’s really not the fault of the customer. The bakery should know that “___” is not going to resolve the problem, but likely result with a face to face with an irritated customer.

The bakery should have called the customer.

2 Likes

I didn’t know it had a sexual meaning and I’m not looking it up.

6 Likes

Ah. That clears that up. Thanks.

In some high schools. But more often, it means you graduated at the top of your class, regardless of your actual GPA.

1 Like

Well, all Victorians are over 65…

1 Like

Frankly, with the dueling conversations regarding cum and GPAs, I’ve gotten a bit lost.

6 Likes

Yeah… there’s a real cock fight between these convo threads. :wink:

4 Likes

Same here. Most expensive mound in town.

5 Likes

Ha yes I came here to say that.

And to think, a valedicktorian started it all…

6 Likes

Coulda been worse. . . they coulda spelled out “cum” with white icing.

Just make sure she’s into that first.

7 Likes

Everyone just needs someone to cummiserate with…

4 Likes

A little cumin really spices things up.

7 Likes

8 Likes

I know it’s about guns, so I did know it has a sexual meaning.

4 Likes

My favourite sub-genre.

11 Likes

Publix has also given $600,000 to a far-right candidate for governor (Putnam), and a boycott of Florida’s largest, most conservative grocery is trending on twitter #BoycottPublix

2 Likes

4.0 isn’t the single standard for Summa Cum Laude. It simply has to be the highest honor they offer. My university set the standard at anything above 3.8. It isn’t exactly a new definition either. When Harvard introduced their Latin Honor system, Summa covered anyone over 90% OR with highest honors in a department, and that was a little while before the incandescent light bulb hit the scene.

3 Likes