Puddles the clown takes no prisoners on America's Got Talent

He’s certainly got a fine pair of pipes on him.

1 Like

“The crowd really responds to him. There’s something about a giant sad singing clown that comforts us, let’s us know it’s ok to feel, to show our feelings. It’s a sad and beautiful world, and we’re all in it together, even when we’re totally alone.” -his website

So, ahem, I still hate clowns. Maybe if I just close my eyes.

Nope.

2 Likes
4 Likes

This is still hands-down the best live version of the song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i9QTqyKYPk

1 Like

Full disclosure: I am on board with Puddles doing his sad clown pop-music crooning until he starts fondling his fluffy buttons. That doesn’t comfort me, it’s just kind of icky.

4 Likes

Well he definitely improved on that, with its affected (fake??) ‘autotune’ sound and intermittent vocal fry.

(Matching good songs to the right singers used to be what record company A&R was all about, wasn’t it? Seems like Puddles is an extremely accomplished A&R man for his own voice and some other people’s songs. More power to him. His Who/Johnny Cash mashup is still my favourite.)

4 Likes

The ‘vocal fry’ and ‘affected’ sound is just how Sia’s voice sounds; her live performances of that song are really fantastic*. In no way do I think Puddles’ operatic versions of pop songs “improve” them, it’s just fun to listen to well-known songs taken out of context and made into Pagliacci opera.
*in my opinion

7 Likes

Well, I guess we agree to completely disagree on that. I looked at the isolated live vocal track posted and was going to add “mumbling” too. Her diction may be a personal style, but not one I appreciate. Too affected. Sorry.

(I’ll be the one servicing his lawnmower)

3 Likes

Stay on topic please.

1 Like

Renews one’s faith in humanity, awesomeness.

2 Likes

Yeah, one of the crew would have clued them in re Puddles. No way he’s an unknown.

1 Like

3 Likes

First time I’ve ever heard of Puddles, frankly.

2 Likes

Allegedly Lourde’s favorite cover of her song.

See also:

6 Likes

Here you go around 3:35:

3 Likes

I find this easy enough to believe for one random individual. I am sure if I polled my mom or one of my sisters they probably never heard of him.

The staff and judges of AGT as well as the entire crowd however…not so much. They are distinctly in tune to the internet sensation talent.

Which is my point. The show is geared to my mom and sis and people of that ilk. So they are genuinely surprised when they hear Puddles for the first time. The crowd and judges have already heard of this cat, but act in the same manner as the viewers at home as to emulate that surprise and heighten the feeling that its genuine.

Its not. Its manipulative.

Good scripted tv is like MAS*H, or Mary Tyler Moore, or even Cheers. The issue is every so often they do hit with genuine surprise someone like last year’s winner Vanderwhal (sp?). That kid was entirely unknown until she showed up on AGT.

6 Likes

The edited audience reactions where they are obviously not synced with what’s happening on stage has made me stop watching this show. It’s so blatantly fake and it’s all I notice anymore. I’m sure the acts do get audience recognition and clapping, but it’s so over the top and edited to make it look like they are standing up and cheering during certain parts when they obviously are not. I remember one scene where they show the audience standing up and going nuts, but the immediate next scene, where the person is still doing their act and there’s no break, shows part of the audience and they are sitting down and not reacting at all (but you can still hear them going nuts).

4 Likes

Before he was Puddles, he was Mike Geier. Bartender at The Star Bar in Atlanta and singer for The Useless Playboys.

So happy to see him doing well. He’s always had an amazing voice.

6 Likes

The name is familiar to me but i couldn’t tell you why as i’ve never seen him or listened to him perform. And i’m generally looking stuff up online constantly. Not sure how i’ve managed to miss his stuff until now, but that’s alright i suppose as judging by this one video he’s right up my alley.

I shall have to remember to circle back to his stuff later.

About Puddles being on the show, i would presume that the people running the show were keenly aware of who he is. There’s no way he’d make it onto the show without anyone doing any research on him. He’s on there more than likely as a novelty to get buzz around the show, it’s manipulative though it does give Puddles a wider audience so i think it works out in his favor regardless.

2 Likes

I’m so glad that you’ve discovered Puddles! Highly recommend his rendition of Royals, which is how I found out about the wonderful clown. And, of course, Hallelujah.

EDIT: Just noticed that @Amstrad already posted the Royals video. Not paying close enough attention here; whoops. x_x

3 Likes