Purfume fad: smell like burning or decomposing vegetation

Purfume

Is it a product meant for cats?

5 Likes

My Czech pal says he loves Pu Erh tea because it smells like old books…

3 Likes

I think they are all trying for this:

Me, I like to smell like well-cooked compost all year round. Earthy, woodsy, a little bit dirty, with a green finish that will save the world.

2 Likes

I have a personal liking for zomgsmells. In the same vein, they offer Captain of Industry, Zeppelin to the Moon, Firry, and Kudzu Doom, all of which I find yummy.

My current favorite is Le Labo 24, which is patchouli based and someone once said smells like it should only be worn by ‘fiercely intellectual librarians’. If the shoe fits… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Burning vegetation? So “Eau de California”?

Well, it does sound nice, actually.

Yeah, want. On second thought, I probably already smell like that, what with all the books around me…

2 Likes

I’m sorry, what exactly does “soft” smell like?

Too soon.

3 Likes

Good question! I mean, in context of “dirt” perfume, I mean it doesn’t smell like a heap of filth. It has a mild, pleasant scent like freshly tilled clean soil. Not offensive.

2 Likes

I know, I know - I just got the smell of smoke out of everything.

4 Likes

You must live closer to the area than I do; you have my genuine sympathies.

2 Likes

Yeah! Screw you perfume companies. You want to charge me how much for a bottle when I could just go outside with a respirator in the ash rain and soak up all the scent for free?

1 Like

funny, I drink that too…

Prefer Lapsang Souchon tho. like a campfire the smell is, great with a cigar.

Old leather and pipesmoke mixed with old books too? You found my heaven!

Heaven for me is a castle library, filled with fine tobaccos, burning frankincense in swinging thuribles, lit by candelabras, stained glass windows to moonlight, as I have eternity to read the collected rarest works by all the great hands of history. The smell of burning leaves wafts in occasionally, and I sit amongst tapestries of history, drinking endless scotch.

This sounds like the closest thing I will get to finding heaven in a smell. Gotta add some Frankincense tho.

What amazes me even more is that there are choices amongst such a ridiculously niche smell and that I can get one that specifically smells not like a library but old books themselves. I love the internet!

[pedant] the smell of ‘old books’ is the smell of decomposing lignin, a component of wood pulp. It eventually degraded to vanillin, which smells like you might expect. [/pedant]

Just confirming my ‘fiercely intellectual librarian’ nerd chops.

3 Likes

Was kicking up some weeds yesterday and I realized as I caught a whiff I missed the smell of dirt. Then I got bummed over how disconnected from nature my life has become where I could go long enough without smelling it to miss it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.