Putin wants Alaska back

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/22/putin-wants-alaska-back.html

7 Likes

If he is serious then it gives you another reason to support Ukraine’s fight against Russia.

38 Likes

So JG was off by a few years…

Go to the story, The Secret History of World War 3…

21 Likes

We better get to work on that Alaska border wall.

16 Likes

Why, when we can just let Sarah Palin watch the border for us…

35 Likes

What if China ask for Her territories back too? Would Mr. Putin give them back graciously?

21 Likes

LOL. Good luck with that.

Of course this is all posturing and chest beating. If they tried to occupy even Little Diomede Island, it would go very badly for them.

This is all they have, though. They are FLOUNDERING against a smaller force that is struggling to get arms. Their T-90s are being taken out by Not-A-Tank Bradleys. They are losing naval ships to a force with out a Navy. They absolutely could not do anything in a conventional war against the US.

We absolutely need to keep funding Ukraine and it is fucking criminal the way Republicans are blocking aid. Ronny is spinning in his grave right now.

50 Likes

Is this how WWIII starts? is it just a warm up? How long until Trump praises this move from a “very strong man”?

11 Likes

See my post above…

9 Likes

As Russian propagandists and useful idiots want you to believe, Crimea has “always” been Russian, even though it was annexed by the Russian Empire only in 1783. Whereas the first Russians visited Alaska perhaps as early as 1648, and definitely in 1732. That’s longer than “always” - I guess Alaska has been part of Russia since before the dawn of time.

14 Likes

Given the sorry state of most of Russia’s advanced equipment, I have grave doubts about their ability to launch nukes without some kind of accident.

8 Likes

Vladimir Putin declared the 1867 sale of Alaska to the United States illegal

The thing is, he’s possibly right - but only because Russia didn’t own Alaska to sell it to the US to begin with. (Though I’ve seen the argument that it wasn’t ever actually a sale, but an agreement with Russia selling off trading rights with the natives, in which case - the territory is still not Russia’s.)

15 Likes

I don’t think it matters too much. Because OURS certainly work.

Putin has no problem sending poor Russians and criminals to die in Ukraine. But he and the other key holders of power know that if things went nuclear, life as they know it would be over. No more mansions. No more partying at night clubs, or what ever Russian Oligarchs like to do in their free time. It is all over.

So they would HAVE to keep any actions conventional. And they have to know if they are getting hurt this bad by newly trained Ukrainians on old tech, that the US would just walk all over them. Especially our air power.

13 Likes

Poland, stay alert.

13 Likes

Damn, I hope they don’t also try to reclaim Fort Ross in California. And maybe we should change the name of that one river before they get any more ideas.

14 Likes

That sounds like a bad bet to call. Can we hopefully not?

11 Likes

So logically Russia should feel free to invade America, so long as they also pay it a dozen billion dollars or so, which is what a refund would be adjusted for inflation. That’s an exciting new combination.

6 Likes

If we go that way you’re going to end up with the way the whole USA is stolen land…

13 Likes

Also if Russia lost Alaska’s senators and electoral college votes they would have much less power in the US.

15 Likes

Interviews with Donald Trump need to press him for a response to this, and a statement of what he would do about the threatened invasion if he were President.

6 Likes