Puzzle: Which one will fill first?

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/03/flow.html

4 Likes

Woo I figured it out before seeing the animation.

7 Likes

None of them will ever fill. Both sides of all of them are open.

16 Likes

That is one of the most satisfying animations I’ve seen on these here internets.

9 Likes

Came to say that and also point out it depends on flow rate, if you dump enough in at the top your overflow path is different from the connection paths.

15 Likes

7 Likes

I actually think it depends on surface tension? I think K fills first if surface tension is high enough (or, shall we equivalently say, if pipe diameter is small enough), otherwise I correctly predicted F will fill first if you don’t account for surface tension at all.

3 Likes

I didn’t because I didn’t see the misdirection. Boo.

7 Likes

I almost got tricked by the blocked paths but I was paying attention for once.

4 Likes

In my and the puzzle’s creator’s defense: I read this on a smartphone, so it was kinda cramped. Could have made it out, but when I rewatched this on my 27" screen, it was much more obvious and I would’ve catched it by following the flow.

3 Likes

Yay for a 17" laptop screen.

1 Like

Also, literally 4 a.m. in the morning in a dark bedroom.

3 Likes

Only if pipes and containers are very small, probably near a size where you’d have to consider whether capillary action comes into play.

Let’s just pretend that we’re all physicists and assume an ideal liquid flowing through frictionless containers and pipes, and the animation is spot on.

5 Likes

14 Likes

Somewhere, Bernoulli is… doing something.

3 Likes

Wow, really? That’s even more terrifying than I thought.

2 Likes

That’s the time on there, not minutes and seconds.

2 Likes

Not pictured: engineers actually building stuff, using math, physics, chemistry, biology… sometimes even psychology and sociology when we need to circumvent the beancounters.

3 Likes

Among other things, pinching the behinds of people sitting on underengineered park benches.

3 Likes

Also not there - us geologists hitting everything with hammers*

*which, when you think about it, is just what physicists do in the Large Hadron Collider.

4 Likes