Q-Nuts: "It's the Delta Variant, Charlie Brown"

Originally published at: Q-Nuts: "It's the Delta Variant, Charlie Brown" | Boing Boing

12 Likes

not so fun to use copyrighted characters to play over pandemic; your illustrator is not capable of anything better (genuine)?

NB because of the flood of reply to my naive comment, I do think this is not the right place to express themselves or tell opinions; sorry

1 Like

Are you unfamiliar with parody? Like, as a concept?

25 Likes

U MAD?

24 Likes

Also, most of Bolling’s comics here are not direct pastiches/tributes.

24 Likes

So you signed up 7 years ago, but you’ve only ever done 3 hours’ worth of reading here. (1 minute recently, whatever Discourse defines as recently.) Which perhaps explains why you are not aware that these parodies have been seen here for years, now.

And you think this independent cartoonist who BoingBoing chooses to offer space here is “your” (their) illustrator.

AND you have no concept of fair use or parody.

I suspect this is not the place for you.

19 Likes

I love this!

1 Like

This comic hits oddly given how well the misinformation squad has hit some people in my life. They’re not Q-nuts themselves but adjacent. A family member is wrapped up in the whole antivax thing by way of natural remedy community/appropriated Eastern spiritual “practices.” A friend is a COVID safety skeptic and slowly leaning into anti-Black racism by way of his right-wing Jewish friends. Never the full Q conspiracies, but ridiculous things treacle out from them suggesting a larger level of buy-in than I’m comfortable with.

19 Likes

Yet you are here.

5 cents please.

30 Likes

The last strip was especially poignant, combining Snoopy’s well-known over-active imagination with its natural outcome in a nation where firearms are readily available and sado-populists are spreading their toxic memes through all kinds of avenues.

This is why we have to pay attention to the gateway actors like Ben Shapiro, Jordaddy, Rand Paul, Joe Rogan, Goopy, etc. Once someone who’s already prone to Snoopy-like fantasism starts far enough down that path of radicalisation they’ll end up excusing or tolerating the full-on Q-Nuts if they don’t end up in that group themselves.

19 Likes

I agree that this is a bad place to share opinions if you absolutely don’t want to find out there are people who disagree with you.

37 Likes

At first read it hurt my heart to see these characters like this, then on quick reflection I realized, no—yeah, Schulz was a prophet. Most of these kids would have grown up to be MAGAts.

4 Likes

Those asshole cultural appropriators should really consider appropriating mask usage.

23 Likes

Good grief!

10 Likes

To add to the dog pile Bolling does not work for Boing Boing, Tom the Dancing Bug runs in a wide variety of publications. And the dude was nominated for Pulitzer recently.

19 Likes

Not like someone would wander into a pizza store armed to the teeth looking for pedos in the basement… nope, that would never happen.

15 Likes

This particular episode of Bolling’s work is depressing, made more so by being informed yesterday that my niece and her husband are unvaccinated and plan to stay that way. They have mistrust of the vaccine because it’s not ‘CDC approved’ and they assert ‘we both had Covid in December 2019’. They have not been tested for antibodies and live in a relatively isolated community not too far from @Papasan.
The saddest part of this is that my sister is a senior with various health issues, thankfully double vaxxed but still vulnerable, plus they have 2 young children that may at some point be exposed to one of the new, more virulent Covid strains through their parents.

20 Likes

And once it is CDC approved, the goalposts will just be moved again

21 Likes

I’m not all in on this work. Mostly I think it was too long and that the first two strips would have sufficed.

But I do think this is strongly in the character of the original work, and that Bolling clearly made this because of love for Schulz’s work, not to take the piss.

10 Likes

28 Likes